Why become a member? ×

Smells like - NBD Fender '62 AV Jazz

KiOgon

Still got the cling film on the Tort plate B)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fender%2062%20Jazz%20Bass%20American%20Vintage%20V197801/?albumview=slideshow
Hope that works!

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1334937735' post='1623806']
Private album eh?

What you hiding?!
[/quote]
Ah! Does that mean the link don't work? I dunno how to work these things really, I'm only here for the beer ;)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1334938210' post='1623816']
It's asking for a pass word to see the pics.

Edit:
This is my dream bass (as long as it's sunburst or black) and I'm going to get one for my 60th birthday..... if I make it :)

Edit2:
Make the album public instead of private.
[/quote]
Hopefully have done, please let me know :blush: Good luck for the 60th redstriper my 60th treat was my '57P B)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1334939545' post='1623844']
no - still private :huh:

BTW - did it come with period correct strings (flats) or those dreaded modern things?
[/quote]
I hope it works now :unsure: comes with standard Fender Roundwounds, 7250 I think, very shortly to be changed to TI Jazz Flats :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334941983' post='1623906']
It's very nice, I... wait a minute, it's a Jazz Bass!? What's going on?? :o
[/quote]
[b][i][color=#0000ff]I know! [/color][/i][/b][color=#0000FF]TBH what happened was I bought a set of TI Jazz Flats to try on my '51 P, but they just didn't feel right on that - I decided I needed a Jazz Bass to put them on [/color][color=#0000FF] [/color][color=#0000FF] :lol: [/color][color=#0000FF] [/color][color=#0000FF] :P [/color][color=#0000FF] [/color]
[color=#0000FF] ;)[/color]
yip - working now and it looks very nice indeed, where did you get it from?

[color=#0000ff]A trade with paul j h yesterday[/color] :happy:

What no full- frontal shots!
Nice bass.

[color=#0000ff]Cheerz, I'll get some full frontal done when it's oiled & strung & got the plastic off[/color] ;)

Edited by KiOgon

How do the AVs compare to US standards and MIM Fenders?
I'm really intrigued by them because they are so much more expensive and I wonder what extra you get for the money.

I don't like TIs on anything but fretless basses (where I love them) - they just don't have enough oomph for me on a fretted bass.
GHS precision flats are my ideal choice for fretted Jazzes.

Hi Steve, I've not had a US standard P or J to compare, but I had a MiM P in 3TS when I bought my '62 P AV & TBH there's honestly not a huge tangible difference, but there is certainly a feel of quality to the AV's which IMO you don't get in the others.
Money's worth? I've only paid near the mark for my '57 P, the '62 P I got direct from the states at a bargain price & the '62 Jazz in a trade. No I wouldn't/couldn't necessarily pay the street price for them, but I reckon they are top of the quality tree, next to custom shop jobs <_<

It's not easy when you go into a shop to try a bass or 3 & the only thing they generally have strung with flats is a Pino :blush:

Hi John, I think you're right and the law of diminishing returns comes strongly into play with Fenders.
The AVs and custom shops are obviously better, but not by enough to justify the price difference.
Still want one though!

I sold the MIM and bought a Farida Jazz for £150 new and it's a corker - closest to my '63 that I've played.

I don't get why Fender go to the trouble of getting all the details right on the AVs and then fit them with strings that weren't even invented when the original basses were in production.

Anyway, enjoy the Jazz and I'll take it off your hands when I hit 60 in 5 years ;)