Why become a member? ×

Solos over chord sequences.

pietruszka

Hi,

I had a gig with my function band and we usually finish on 'Sing It Back' by Moloko, cheesy I know. We do part of the track where every one takes turn to solo as the singer introduces the audience to who's been playing for them.

My question is this, Im not by any means a player who can solo but I do it when its needed and at times struggle. Whats the rule, if you like, for soloing over something like this? Do I stay on the Eb or move with the chords?

Thank you!

Dan

Follow the chords. I think a good rule of thumb when starting a solo is to continue playing the bassline for a bit - often people haven't heard it 'soloed' so to speak, so that can be really nice. Then, start embellishing it - never lose the groove!

If this post is too long: just use Eb minor pentatonic or blues scale.

Sequence sounds (to my ears) like |Ebm9 | Abm9 | Fm7 Bb7+5 | Ebm9 repeated over and over (I think......I'm a bit wack at hearing out changes , although I've been working at it! Could be an Fm7b5 in there)

Talk about soloing over changes can, and does, fill many volumes as there are a lot of ways to look at it. As to whether you stay or move with the chords, the answer is both! You can choose to outline the chords, or play over them a little, and this can be done using chord tones or scales, depending on how you like to think of it. I would recommend being familiar with the arpeggios of these chords and (the really important bit) how they resolve into one another. That is, which notes in Ebm9 are next to those in Abm9 (and Abm9 into Fm7 etc,,,,,), which allows you to make a smooth transition between the chords outlining the movement from one to the other, and which notes they have in common, which allows a more blanket approach.

So, an example for Ebm9 going into Abm9 would be:

Eb Gb Bb Db F into Ab B Eb Gb Bb.

In general, chord qualities are most clearly defined by their 3rds and 7ths. We can resolve the 7th of the Ebm9 (Db) into the 3rd of Abm9 (B ), which outlines the change between the two, or we can stay on the 3rd of Ebm9 (Gb), which becomes the 7th of Abm9. As a rule of thumb, chords with roots moving in 4ths (same fret up a string or down a string and two frets) have 7ths that resolve nicely into 3rds, and playing this resolution really strongly outlines that change (this is good voice leading).

But of course there are other options for notes to keep the same across both chords (more obvious), and other options for notes that move to outline the changes - I'll leave you to explore them! Just throw the track on and have fun playing about. You take this further by seeing what notes move and stay static across the whole progression. Using just chord tones you can get a surprising amount of mileage by adding rhythmic variety - just keep it grooving and have fun!

The arpeggios are the strongest way to outline the harmony, and you can use notes that move or remain static to outline it to different degrees of clarity

As for scales, you can just jam Eb minor pentatonic (or blues scale for colour) over the whole thing without worrying about making the changes, I'm not sure if it's | Fm7 Bb7+5| or | Fm7b5 Bb7+5 |, but either way you can just use Eb natural minor over the whole thing and it sounds fine (as melody trumps harmony). If it is | Fm7b5 Bb7+5 |, you could play Eb harmonic minor if you felt like it, but you don't have to!

I hope this post was helpful! Let me know if you want anything clarified......

Edited by Hector