Why become a member? ×

Valuation advice please - time warp '98 USA Standard Precision Bass

Paul S

A friend of mine wants to move on his Fender Precision. He bought it new 'in the late 90s/early 00s' (he is a bit vague) but the serial number (N7323445) tells me it is a '97-98 model. USA Standard, Sunburst with maple neck and fretboard, white plate. Weighs in at around 9.5lbs and has a relatively skinny 40mm wide neck at the nut, albeit quite deep (C shape? I am never sure). Anyway, he realised after buying it he didn't like it much, bought a USA Standard Jazz, kept this as back up and very occasional use since (plays jazz and swing, sits on a stool). It has the original non-Fender hard shell case, in which it has spent most of the ensuing [s]23[/s] 13 years in the cupboard under his stairs. (edit for maths)

I wished I wanted it as I don't imagine bases come long too often in this kind of nick - barely any buckle rash, a couple of really tiny dents that hardly crease the surface, a few tony scuffs in the scratch plate and that is it. As P-basses go this is fairly lightweight and has a skinny neck - ticks a lot of my boxes. But it isn't me. Neck is a bit thick and I really am not keen on sunburst finishes. Seems to do the woody P-bass tone rather nicely.

I said, by way of a trade off for borrowing it, i would take pics and advertise it on here for him but, of course, I need to put a value on it for the ad. Does anyone have an idea what one of these is worth. There is nothing particularly special about it other than its quite remarkable condition.

Here are a few pics.
[attachment=105844:FP1.jpg][attachment=105845:FP2.jpg][attachment=105846:FP3.jpg][attachment=105847:FP4.jpg][attachment=105848:FP5.jpg]

Any advice re value would be hugely appreciated.

Edited by Paul S