Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass

steviedee

It seems most of the people with mid-'70s Jazzes want to sell them for approaching £2k now. And that's with stuff like battery routs done to them and lots of damage to the finish. I think they're mental, to be honest.

An entirely original one in excellent condition? Then maybe £2k is more sensible, but honestly I think it's a matter of whether it's a decent bass or not. Fenders from the '80s are starting to see inflated prices now and those are the guitars that were notoriously bettered by cheap Japanese copies. The whole business of 'vintage' pricing is nonsense once you get out of the 1960s, IMHO.

The necks on the Jazz`s from that era would be one of the reasons for buying one from this period. Have a look through the for sale section as there have been a few 70`s models for sale recently.

Also, a few years ago the 70`s were derided as Fender`s dodgy build quality decade whereas now they are all "vintage classics and not too heavy either."

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

Thanks I'll have a look in the for sale section, the bass has been appraised by a respected luthier so I'm going to give him a call. The bloke selling it has given quite a lot of info I don't think it's schonky in that respect just thinking of a fair price.