Why become a member? ×

Guitarist + 16 pedals = nightmare

solo4652

Guys,

I need to say something here. I've added this comment to my original post:

IMPORTANT EDIT: Obviously, this is a public forum and I'm already regretting posting my original comments. It's entirely possible that some basschatters will be able to work out who I'm referring to and I certainly do not want to cause any personal embarrassment. I think I've allowed my frustrations to get the better of my judgement. So, I do not intend to make any more comments about the individual because he's a friendly guy who really enjoys his guitar-playing. Somewhat red-faced, I'll go and get me coat.

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1335277693' post='1628476']
This is no doubt true, but I can never manage to just have 'a preset'! :)
[/quote]

When I was playing guitar I would use between 2 and 6 presets per song. Each song had it's own set of presets sensibly arranged next to each other in the multi-effects memories and all were tweaked to fit with the other instruments' sounds in the song. At one point when we were also using sequencers and samplers in the set the patch changes were handled by the sequencer so they all happened automatically without me needing to be anywhere near a pedal board. This was all accomplished by spending a lot of time between rehearsals working on the sounds and then a little time with the whole band making fine adjustments. Once I'd got the patches right for a song I never had to touch them again.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1335282342' post='1628587']
Guys,

IMPORTANT EDIT: Obviously, this is a public forum and I'm already regretting posting my original comments. It's entirely possible that some basschatters will be able to work out who I'm referring to and I certainly do not want to cause any personal embarrassment. I think I've allowed my frustrations to get the better of my judgement. So, I do not intend to make any more comments about the individual because he's a friendly guy who really enjoys his guitar-playing. Somewhat red-faced, I'll go and get me coat.
[/quote]

Do not fear. I've not faintest idea of whom you are referring to :D

The pedal fetish guitarist in my previous band was a nice bloke as well, although he did annoy the singer...and vice versa. Which is why the band split up I suppose...I digress :)

It's entirely possible that some basschatters will be able to work out who I'm referring to and I certainly do not want to cause any personal embarrassment. [/quote]

Don't worry too much. Last time a guitarist pissed me off with his pedalboard (and sundry other irritations) I named him and gave his general location.

Which was [i]very[/i] bad of me. :(

Edited by skankdelvar

Maybe I'm getting so frustrated because I work very hard a keeping things really simple. I play passive P basses that have just two knobs. I chose an amp that has the minimum amount of knobs, switches and dials. I don't use any effects or pedals at all. I choose this sort of setup because it suits me - I feel I can concentrate my time and energy playing to the best of my (limited) ability. But that's just me.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335282518' post='1628592']
It's about time-management. I have the longest journey to rehearsal and am inevitably the first to arrive. Last to arrive is the drummer, who takes the longest to set up. You'd think he'd arrive first, wouldn't you? But no...
[/quote]

Drummer at practice last night had sorted out the rehearsal space, paid for it, got the key, first to turn up, was last to leave and said "don't hang around for me, you guys just get yourselves home". I couldn't, so helped him pack his stuff into his car.

I've been turning up to rehearsals and gigs with anywhere from seven to fifteen effect pedals for years now, never taken longer than anyone else to set up, never stopped a rehearsal to tweak anything or chase a problem, it's a simple matter of knowing how to use your own gear.

The problem is your guitarist, not his gear.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1335281004' post='1628554']
Judgmental nonsense.

[/quote]

Haha! Fair enough. I'll admit I'm pretty cynical about people changing their 'sound' for the song. And it's simply on the basis of will any one notice? My reason behind him not needing the 16 pedals is because I have never played a gig which has required anyone to need 16 pedals, and that is everything from a play around in a garage right up to playing in band costing £4,000. And that guitarist only used the clean and overdrive channels on his mesa combo.

No one will sit in the crowd and think " 'ang about, that guitarist needs 7.8% more of chorus pulsing at a rate of 42 BMP." Again, in my experience, no one notices. Certainly not live anyways.
Each to their own i suppose.

Dan

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1335283031' post='1628605']
Maybe I'm getting so frustrated because I work very hard a keeping things really simple. I play passive P basses that have just two knobs. I chose an amp that has the minimum amount of knobs, switches and dials. I don't use any effects or pedals at all. I choose this sort of setup because it suits me - I feel I can concentrate my time and energy playing to the best of my (limited) ability. But that's just me.
[/quote]
Im the same!

Dan

The debate on whether the guitarist needs the 16 pedals or not is pointless, as we don't know what is played. I'm sure there's a lot of us would find our own stuff a but lame without certain effects.
Yes I agree that 6 different distortions are probably a bit pointless, but a guitarist might want a muffled drive for during the verse & then something a bit more aggressive for the chorus/solo.

Pedalboard should only take a minute to set up though (as quick as a multi fx unit).

Yep, if he really really does need all 16 pedals (I'm doubtful he does but let's say for the sake of argument it's necessary for the stuff the band plays live) then he's got to get his act together on the set up. 2 hours is bad enough for rehearsals but for most real life gigging situations that's unworkable. Proper pre arranged, wired up (and TESTED!) pedal boards are the answer surely? If you are in a paid for rehearsal space and he's going to take that long I'd tell him to arrive 1.5 hours before everyone else needs to and he pays for that 1.5 hours out of his own pocket, the cost of remaining time is split between all band memebrs evenly as usual. My last band (admittedly only a 3 piece but i used to take along my midi pedals and sound module as well as basses) used to book a rehearsal space for only 2 hours at a time and we'd get through most of the set in that time.

If it always takes 2 hours to set up his pedals, and say the rehearsal was 7 - 11, I`d arrange with the rest of the band to turn up at 8.30, then everyone would be ready to go by 9. And when the guitarist inevitably questions you about it, say there`s little point in you all being there for that amount of time, just to watch him setting up.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1335279631' post='1628514'] Or am I being too harsh by expecting musicians to know what they're doing?
Christ I've stopped bringing my fretless to gigs because no one hears the difference and it wastes time on stage I find, especially when we don't play to a set list. No one notices so it stays at home. Less to carry, less to go wrong, less time wasted.

Dan
[/quote]

Right enough. I'm also down to one guitar (plus a spare) at gigs- mainly due to laziness though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335282451' post='1628590']
When I was playing guitar I would use between 2 and 6 presets per song. Each song had it's own set of presets sensibly arranged next to each other in the multi-effects memories and all were tweaked to fit with the other instruments' sounds in the song. At one point when we were also using sequencers and samplers in the set the patch changes were handled by the sequencer so they all happened automatically without me needing to be anywhere near a pedal board. This was all accomplished by spending a lot of time between rehearsals working on the sounds and then a little time with the whole band making fine adjustments. Once I'd got the patches right for a song I never had to touch them again.
[/quote]

Blimey! I don't think I could handle that! It implies you knew what you were doing- both tech-wise [i]and [/i]playing. :)
Not sure I could manage that!

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1335278088' post='1628483']
There is no way your guitarist NEEDS 16 pedals. [/quote]

Shep has 20....

Anyway you should go about telling him issue's with his sound should be sorted before rehearsals, taking up valuable time that the band can not spare, watching him fiddle knobs etc.

But quiet clearly it's not working and should be thrown out for the sake of the band, it's about compromise from all parties.

Guys,

[/quote]

Now I really wanna know! :D lol

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1335283031' post='1628605']
I play passive P basses that have just two knobs. I chose an amp that has the minimum amount of knobs, switches and dials. I don't use any effects or pedals at all. I choose this sort of setup because it suits me - I feel I can concentrate my time and energy playing to the best of my (limited) ability. But that's just me.
[/quote]

It's just me, too.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1335280553' post='1628542']
You think that's bad? The bass player in my band has got about £600 worth of effects pedals, including 2 envelope filters, and NO tuner!
[/quote]

that sounds like a fantastic option - even better THREE filters for the guitard - one high pass, one low pass and one mid :ph34r:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335277692' post='1628475']
Lots of pedals isn't the problem, the problem is having no clue what he is up to.
[/quote]
Correct.

I used to play with a guitarist who had I don't know how many pedals but there were two boards and one of them was split level. He also had five guitars (all white Strats) in different tunings, each labelled with the key to which it was tuned so that there could be no mistake.

However, he was a fast setup and never any confusion or problems with his sound.