Why become a member? ×

Acoustic duo

Geek99

I have an offer to form an acoustic duo. My plasterer writes his own material and is a much, much better player than me. He's played in bands for years and I'm very much a learner who gets little to no time to practise. There is, as observed on another thread , nowhere to hide in a duo
I dont want to play acoustic bass but maybe I can use a quiet jazz bass

I really miss the duo that I used to play in - sadly my friend moved up to Newcastle to get away from her husband which put an end to the music. Was great fun doing the coffee house circuit, though, and whilst it's true that there's no hiding, you soon come to really appreciate the space you have to play in. I never played an acoustic bass; I'm sure your jazz will be fine. Go for it :)

I thnk, to be honest, that I am trying to talk myself out of it. I've played with other people once before, many years ago, and it was a disaster zone. I know I will feel [b]very[/b] exposed - I'm at that "can hear riffs that I cant quite play yet" stage and I feel very awkward about it. I do rewite basslines in my head when I hear songs, and I do mentally put something over drums that I hear about the place, or in my head so I know I can do better than I can do now. Plasterer guy wants to "get back into gigging".

I did manage to do a creditable version on bass of "stand by me" in a lesson with a teacher playing the guitar line, but I had no idea where my timing was, or rather, the notes were in the right-ish places musically but I had no idea where the beat was.

Give it a try anyway, you will probably find you land on your feet. Everybody has to take that step at some point and you'll quickly improve if you're playing with someone who's better than you in situations that are new to you.

I often go busking in a duo with a guitarist/singer with me playing double bass and singing harmony, we do old rocksteady and reggae tunes, it's good fun. Would recommend. :)

I used to play piano in a duo - just me and a female singer doing a few jazz and blues standards. I was never very comfortable in that situation, to be honest - I was once asked "where does all the blood from your face go when you're on stage" :lol: . There was nowhere to hide if I screwed up, and if I did I'd probably take the singer with me. Fine if you're a really solid reliable player, not so much fun if you tend to have your "off" moments now and again. Most of the time it went well, and I got a fair few compliments on my playing, but I was never free of The Fear. Mind you I was much younger then - these days I'm less worried about making an arse of myself (as regular readers will know) :) .

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1335428848' post='1630769']
....There is, as observed on another thread , nowhere to hide in a duo....
[/quote]

Passengers not allowed! There is nowhere to hide on a stage if you're in a duo, trio or 15 piece band.

I play in a duo with an acoustic guitarist. I use my 500 watt amp one of my 112's and my regular electric bass. I turn the volume down but don't change my tone. It works because I make it work.

You've got to make time to practice, though.

I have a hartke hydride 2 x 10 combo . Thinking of suggesting gnr patience (he uploaded a cover to YouTube) and I have a bass tab to learn from, and also acoustic 'midnight hour' because I can play it now.
Practicetime is going to be a challenge due to my family commitments, but luckily my partner and his wife get on and kids are similar ages.
I don't know if I have a singing voice - I suspect not.