Why become a member? ×

Frank Zappa

Lewk

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1358959545' post='1947687']
Thanks to the wonders of Spotify, I have just heard Sheik Yerbouti for the first time.

Interesting but a bit like using nanotechnology to create artificial dog poo.
[/quote]

Try Roxy and Elsewhere or Make a Jazz Noise Here. I think they may appeal to you more. SY is not a good intro to Zappa, although Wild Love and Yo Mama are sublime, most of the album is not the sort of Zappa you would get on with I reckon.

I'm still trying to figure out my cutoff point with Zappa. Stuff like the King Kong 1968 clip posted above, and albums like Uncle Meat and Weasels Ripped my Flesh through to the Grand Wazoo are sublime IMO, but some of the later stuff I almost can't bear to listen to. On the late 60s material, there's a real sense of the band trying to play slightly beyond their abilities, which is something I always enjoy hearing. Later on, it seems like he'd got a little too used to having musicians who could play anything, and the resulting sound is a bit too slick for my tastes. I also like the absurdist humour of the early material more than the later smutty stuff. None of this is intended as a dig at Mr Zappa, but when someone is prolific as he was, it's inevitable that not every album will please every listener.