Why become a member? ×

Strange crackling sound

MrTaff

I'm not even sure you'd call this crackling but what ever it is needs sorting by Sunday, I've two identical Squier VM P's both started making this sound today. I've already eliminated the head, pedalboard and cables, they sound fine through a Vox Amplug which to me only leaves a problem with the house wiring, anything I've missed before calling an electrician?

sample
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4079697/crackle.wav"]http://dl.dropbox.co...697/crackle.wav[/url]

edit: I've tried other power points in the house, still does it.

Edited by MrTaff

Going to try that tommorrow hopefuly, I've always had a slight hum here but never like this, I've noticed now that if you listen long enough the noise slows down & speeds up, almost sounds like the interference you'd get from a petrol chainsaw but way to late for anybody to be using one.

Tried as a mates house no noise regardless of where the tone is which rules out the basses, still noisy at home but the noise goes away with the tone off, picking up interference from something in the house?

Edited by MrTaff

Yep - sounds like interference from something. The usual suspects are light dimmers, fluorescent (or energy saving) bulbs or a noisy power supply (wall wart). Sometimes you can use the bass like a "aerial" and by moving it around you might hear the noise increase or decrease - that might help identify where it's coming from.

Electrition came today, nothing wrong with the house wiring, touching the strings makes no difference, I'm starting to wonder if it was something outside the house since it stopped doing it monday :blink:

I guessl, if it comes back I'll have to start going around turning everything off.

thanks guys