Why become a member? ×

RH450 Voltage question

jackers

I think the TC amps are auto voltage sensing so you will be fine but check that out. For anyone reading this though as regards other amps many people have fell foul of asking someone this very question to be told for certain by someone that their amp has a selector switch so it will be ok only to find that when it arrives the US one does not have the switch! Reason being you can tap 115v off a european spec 230v transformer, you can't get 230v from a 115v max transformer. Mesa Boogie I'm looking at you!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I got one from US and it worked straight out of the box BUT, it won't be guaranteed.
TC don't have Worldwide Warranties, (which is a bit weird with a Worldwide friendly power supply).. The guarantee only applies in the country of purchase.
Shouldn't be an issue as they are pretty reliable, but a point to consider.

• 1 month later...

Unless the warranty is a 3/4/5 year one, a 1 year warranty is basically useless anyway. I've never had any electrical item blow in the first year, just a few weeks after expiration of said warranty. Take your chances I say & to hell with huge duty/customs/vat payments if your willing.

The main reason I was looking into it was the price, as even with shipping and customs tax it would have been over 100 quid cheaper than buying secondhand here.

I ended up going for a Landmark 300 from the for sale section in the end anyway. :P

Yup, the RH450 from the US is just fine on UK mains. I've got both a UK and a US sourced one - both work flawlessly. The only difference is the slight variation in names on the front panel!

Ashdown had no interest in any kind of repair service and the amp had a very odd fault that really was only going to be put to bed 100% by someone with the skills and the drawings for that amp, In the end I sold it as spares or repairs on ebay for £125 :( (early UK built Ashdown EVOII, hand signed inside etc).

The only other time I contacted them was when I wanted to take that head from the combo cab, before it went faulty, and put it in a proper seperate enclosure as would of been an option new, they would not sell me one.

On reflection its the best thing that could of happened as I much prefer the sound and portability of the Genz gear that replaced it not to mention the reliability :)

• 1 month later...

Wowser - just looked round eBay and see that the US sourced RH450s can now be had for around £390 delivered to the UK (plus tax/duty if you're caught) - that's a screaming bargain compared with a couple of years ago!!!

Or, if you're going to be in the US, a mere £340 if you take the free delivery & can squeak it home in your luggage...

Yes, the UK tax/duty on most US electronics is pretty outrageous really, not to mention the importer's mark-up, making many things getting on for twice as expensive in the UK.

Dealers will, of course, try to scare people off by talking about grey imports and no warranties etc, but most stuff is pretty reliable these days. Besides, buying secondhand has no warranties so given a choice between brand new or secondhand with an unknown history then brand new looks pretty good.

Having said all that, this form of tax avoidance is actually somewhat less legal than Jimmy Carr's little scheme that we all got so irate about.

Just saying. ;)