Why become a member? ×

Wanted: 3/4 (or maybe 4/4) Hybrid (probably) DB

I've been keeping one eye on the used market for the past few months but I'm not seeing anything that fits the bill. I'm after a bass with a bit more of a woody sound and more sustain than my current laminate bass. I'm keeping the laminate because it's loud and deep but it's quite thumpy so I'm after something with more of a lively pizz sound.

So far the best option looks like a new bass from Thomann, but I would rather have something old with a bit of character.

Budget is around £1k. I haven't seen anything much under £3k. :(

Anyone know of anything anywhere that might work for me?

Edited by thisnameistaken

I know what you mean but on Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting Emlyn, and having a quick play on his new bass which has similar sloping shoulders, it makes easy access to the dusty end.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175295-stentor-conservatoire-4-string-34-double-bass-l900/

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1336044037' post='1639880']these get a good rap - I seem to remember Bilbo picked one up a while back...
[url="http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/category.php?id_category=51"]http://www.gedo-musi...?id_category=51[/url][/quote]

I had been browsing their site but thanks for posting that link - they had a scratched bass for sale at half price, which is now MINE! It's not exactly what I was looking for; it's fully carved and it's got violin corners, but it looks pretty sweet anyway. :D

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1336044415' post='1639890']There's an EUB up for sale here around £1400 if that's any help ?[/quote]

Oh no I wanted an acoustic bass, I've no use for an EUB really.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had been browsing their site but thanks for posting that link - they had a scratched bass for sale at half price, which is now MINE! It's not exactly what I was looking for; it's fully carved and it's got violin corners, but it looks pretty sweet anyway. [/font][/color] :D
[/quote]

:D nice one! I keep looking at them - they look good enough to be a great starting point (and they'll customise bits for you) but cheap enough so I wouldn;t worry about all the Rock and Roll bashing about I do. ow just have to convince my wife!