Why become a member? ×

Help! Neck drilling advice needed

cocco

So I've just bought a mighty mite replacement neck for a precision project that I'm undertaking but it needs it's mounting holes drilled for the body and also the tuner mounts. Does anyone know the best way to mark up for these? Should I even bother doing it myself or just take it to someone who knows what they're doing? I have access to a pillar drill by the way.

I tend to clamp the neck into the pocket it's going into, then mark through the holes in the body with a screw, or a thin pencil, or once, orange paint on a thin brush. then remove it and pillar drill the buggers to the right depth. (Though not as wide as the screws you are using, or they won't bite, but you knew that didn't you?)
:)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1336122139' post='1641109']
I tend to clamp the neck into the pocket it's going into, then mark through the holes in the body with a screw, or a thin pencil, or once, orange paint on a thin brush. then remove it and pillar drill the buggers to the right depth. (Though not as wide as the screws you are using, or they won't bite, but you knew that didn't you?)
:)
[/quote]

This ^

A piece of tape marking the desired depth on the drill bit will ensure you don't end up drilling through the fretboard :)