Why become a member? ×

Bass Cutting Out?!?

cheddatom

In my other band, the bassist has quite a nice aria pro II 4 string. His bass randomly cuts out sometimes especially when you jiggle the jack lead going into it. I figured it must be the socket, but check and couldn't see anything. I told him to take it to a music shop, but then suggested he make sure it's not the battery first. I don't know why I suggested this, 'cos it seems to me an illogical idea - but it worked when he put a new battery in. Can anyone explain this? Is his bass a bit knackered or what? the old battery wasn't totally dead, but was on the way out.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='178921' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:21 PM']In my other band, the bassist has quite a nice aria pro II 4 string. His bass randomly cuts out sometimes especially when you jiggle the jack lead going into it. I figured it must be the socket, but check and couldn't see anything. I told him to take it to a music shop, but then suggested he make sure it's not the battery first. I don't know why I suggested this, 'cos it seems to me an illogical idea - but it worked when he put a new battery in. Can anyone explain this? Is his bass a bit knackered or what? the old battery wasn't totally dead, but was on the way out.[/quote]

It could well be the jack socket. Most basses use the ring contact of a Ring/Tip/Sleeve jack socket to ground one side of the battery. If this contact has lost its tension, is worn, displaced or just plain dirty then there could be an intermittent or high resistance contact causing low or zero volts to the onboard electronics. This would become noticeable as the battery volts drop.

[quote name='obbm' post='178974' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:59 PM']It could well be the jack socket. Most basses use the ring contact of a Ring/Tip/Sleeve jack socket to ground one side of the battery. If this contact has lost its tension, is worn, displaced or just plain dirty then there could be an intermittent or high resistance contact causing low or zero volts to the onboard electronics. This would become noticeable as the battery volts drop.[/quote]

I see! Ok, i'll replace it, thanks :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='179674' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:43 PM']Yeh, the jack socket's a bit weird on this one, it's a rectangular black plastic box thing. It won't matter if I put in a normal socket will it? I assume the plastic isn't shielding or anything.[/quote]

That sounds like it's got a separate switch that's actuated when the jack goes in, ie isolated from the audio circuitry. How many pins/tags?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='179674' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:43 PM']Yeh, the jack socket's a bit weird on this one, it's a rectangular black plastic box thing. It won't matter if I put in a normal socket will it? I assume the plastic isn't shielding or anything.[/quote]

It's not a matter of whether it's an open-type jack socket or plastic box, the important thing are any additional contacts for switching the volts to the pre-amp.

Oh, I see, so that the battery isn't drained when the bass isn't plugged in?I hadn't thought about it. I'll have to check this, I don't have the bass at the moment.

Anyone know what the standard is for an Aria ProII? I realise it's not very specific, but it's late 80s I think, all black with gold writing on the headstock. Actually, that's just stupid, i'll post again when I have the model number and checked the jack socket.

Thanks for the continuing help :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='179725' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:34 PM']Oh, I see, so that the battery isn't drained when the bass isn't plugged in?I hadn't thought about it. I'll have to check this, I don't have the bass at the moment.

Anyone know what the standard is for an Aria ProII? I realise it's not very specific, but it's late 80s I think, all black with gold writing on the headstock. Actually, that's just stupid, i'll post again when I have the model number and checked the jack socket.

Thanks for the continuing help :)[/quote]

Here's the type with isolated switch: [url="http://uk.farnell.com/1217020/connectors/product.us0?sku=LUMBERG-KLBPSS-3&_requestid=107336"]http://uk.farnell.com/1217020/connectors/p...equestid=107336[/url]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='179725' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:34 PM']Anyone know what the standard is for an Aria ProII? I realise it's not very specific, but it's late 80s I think, all black with gold writing on the headstock. Actually, that's just stupid, i'll post again when I have the model number and checked the jack socket.[/quote]

If you are struggling PM Bloodaxe he has few of these, an he luurves them....

[quote name='bremen' post='179751' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:56 PM']Here's the type with isolated switch: [url="http://uk.farnell.com/1217020/connectors/product.us0?sku=LUMBERG-KLBPSS-3&_requestid=107336"]http://uk.farnell.com/1217020/connectors/p...equestid=107336[/url][/quote]
Excellent, thanks!

Burpster - It's a gorgeous bass, very very nice to play and sounds quite cool. I'll take your advice if I can't find anything once I know the model number.