Why become a member? ×

Whats it worth? Advice please.

BottomE

Hi

I have built a bass which is:

Squier body
Fender US neck and tuners
Fender US Original Precision Pickups

it plays pretty well and sounds, well, like a P Bass. I enjoyed the process of building that i want to do another one and in fact have already paid for a bass that is being shipped tomorrow and have another one too that is going to get pimped.

The P Bass project cost in total about £300.

What kind of money do you think i should be looking for if i sell it? I'd be looking to sell it with a quality soft case and matching strap.

Thanks

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1336409011' post='1645208']
Although it looks damn fine and you like the way it plays, would be purchasers will still condsider it a bitsa.

You will probably recoup more of your dosh if you part it out and sell all the components on here or ebay.
[/quote]
Shame really cos its a nice bass but maybe i'll do that. The ironic thing is that it sounds and plays better than any Mexican Fender that i have tried and seen sold for £300 ish.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1336411398' post='1645267']
I've bought a fair few bitsas just to get some parts I was after, an sold the rest as parts to cover the cost. Definitely the way to recoupe costs, unless you can sell it in such a way people try it.
[/quote]
You hit it on the head. Maybe i should try and give it a go locally through GumTree or something. I am sure that plugging it in would really help sell it. Shame to break it up though i could use the parts in another P Bass project i have going. Next is an early 80s Squier which sounds and feels bloody good already without being pimped :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1336415385' post='1645349']
Just do what everyone else does, bang it on eBay as a genuine pre CBS P bass then get upset on here once it gets rumbled! :)
[/quote]
:rolleyes: i wish i was that deceitful. Unfortunately i subscribe to the "goes around comes around" theory so won't be going down that route.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1336423071' post='1645497']
TBF with my limited Fender knowledge even I would spot the cheapo single ply pick guard ;) :lol:
[/quote]

ah yes, that bit's not original, it was taken off another P bass made in 1957.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1336494019' post='1646421']
It's a shame as many of us know just how good these bitsa basses turn out but even basses made by well established respected makers can struggle to hold there value so what chance have we got? :(
[/quote]
Yes - its true. The bass needs to be hanging up in a shop next to some Mexican Fenders so that people can be educated as to the beauty of a BITSA bass. Never mind. Screwdrivers and soldering iron here i come :(

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1336562123' post='1647439']
I like it. Again i would probably prefer to try first.
I would only buy from someone i had 100% confidence and trust when its a project bass.

Must admit though i do like this.

Dave
[/quote]
Thanks. It is an attention grabber thats for sure. I really want someone to try it as i am sure that it would sell it. After all, its an Amercian Precision except the body - anyone who has seen the test on Talkbass with the block of $1 wood with a neck stuck on knows that the sound is in the electrics. All the important bits are high quality.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1336564654' post='1647516']
Thanks. It is an attention grabber thats for sure. I really want someone to try it as i am sure that it would sell it. After all, its an Amercian Precision except the body - anyone who has seen the test on Talkbass with the block of $1 wood with a neck stuck on knows that the sound is in the electrics. All the important bits are high quality.
[/quote]

I haven't seen the Talkbass test. Please don't hurt my feelings after spending a lot of dosh for my Overwater when a block of wood with a neck would have done same job. :dash1:
Wood (excuse the pun) think that the choice of body woods does make a difference in sound. When buying my Overwater i tried same basses with different woods and they all sounded quite different from wood that gave you that mid range growl to others that were more suited to slap bass with a hi end twang if that's the best description.
Can't see that in this case though the choice between American or Japanese wood for the body would make a huge difference. My example above was more extreme from Bubinga type woods to Alder and lighter woods. Please note I'm no expert in wood.

At the end of the day if i new what i was getting and it looked and played good i would be happy with any reasonable price.

Hope it works out for you as i don't think i would want to dismantle a bass i had built just to make a few quid extra on the sale. I would be too proud of my achievements and rather take a slight loss baring in mind the enjoyment you had building it.
Its not all about the money - i think.

Its still a very nice looker.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1336572908' post='1647729']
I haven't seen the Talkbass test. Please don't hurt my feelings after spending a lot of dosh for my Overwater when a block of wood with a neck would have done same job. :dash1:

Its still a very nice looker.

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

Thanks Dave. The Talkbass thread is exactly that.

A guy takes a block of wood - and he went out of his way to get the cheapest nastiest old block of wood that he could find. He then adds the neck, bridge, PuPs etc. So essentially it is a Jazz bass (or was it a Precision) but without the "proper" body. He then records the bass under very strict conditions. He puts the mp3 up online and challenges people to see if they can tell the difference between the block bass and a real bass that he had recorded at the same time. Don't just believe me - go have a listen if you can find it - its impossbile to tell them apart. It was after seeing and hearing that when i decided to use a Squier body.

The only reason i'll pull it apart and split is that i have grown quite interested in BITSAs and bought a really old Squier (80s) that i prefer the look of (i am old school) and want to pimp that one too. Its mildly addictive. I want to put in some of the vintage wiring in on my next build.

Anyways, thanks for the interest.

I mean look at this bad boy...

The only difference between the Squier and Fender stuff is the quality of the bits and the QC. As its a bitsa we can ignore the QC, its probably better than any of them because you're not checking like 50 a day! The bits are all Fender, so only the body is Squier is that right?

I'd stick it in the local Music shop and ask them to sell it for you. If they spot that its a Squier body on a genuine Fender neck I will be amazed! plus, then the only time someone will buy it is if they have tried it and they are happy to part with the money.

This is an entirely different scenario to getting a noname Chinese made bass and sticking a Fender decal on it!! At worst this is a genuine Fender with a replacement body (licensed by Fender) if I understand correctly...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1336576400' post='1647798']
The only difference between the Squier and Fender stuff is the quality of the bits and the QC. As its a bitsa we can ignore the QC, its probably better than any of them because you're not checking like 50 a day! The bits are all Fender, so only the body is Squier is that right?

I'd stick it in the local Music shop and ask them to sell it for you. If they spot that its a Squier body on a genuine Fender neck I will be amazed! plus, then the only time someone will buy it is if they have tried it and they are happy to part with the money.

This is an entirely different scenario to getting a noname Chinese made bass and sticking a Fender decal on it!! At worst this is a genuine Fender with a replacement body (licensed by Fender) if I understand correctly...
[/quote]
You just got the job as my PR man if i ever need one. I like your angle on it. Yeah, i was pretty anal about the QC - especially setting up the neck "just so" - the intonation is sweet and the action very fast (if that makes sense). They are stock US Precision PuPs - it really sounds like a P-Bass!

That said, i couldn't put it up in the local shop. I learnt a lot from this build and will use that knowledge in the next monster P-Bass build :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1336575560' post='1647779']
Thanks Dave. The Talkbass thread is exactly that.

A guy takes a block of wood - and he went out of his way to get the cheapest nastiest old block of wood that he could find. He then adds the neck, bridge, PuPs etc. So essentially it is a Jazz bass (or was it a Precision) but without the "proper" body. He then records the bass under very strict conditions. He puts the mp3 up online and challenges people to see if they can tell the difference between the block bass and a real bass that he had recorded at the same time. Don't just believe me - go have a listen if you can find it - its impossbile to tell them apart. It was after seeing and hearing that when i decided to use a Squier body.

The only reason i'll pull it apart and split is that i have grown quite interested in BITSAs and bought a really old Squier (80s) that i prefer the look of (i am old school) and want to pimp that one too. Its mildly addictive. I want to put in some of the vintage wiring in on my next build.

Anyways, thanks for the interest.

I mean look at this bad boy...

[/quote]

I HATE YOU FOR THIS. DO YOU REALISE HOW MUCH TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY HAS GONE INTO MY LITTLE COLLECTION :angry: ;) :lol:
I'll need to get a look at the talkbass item at some point although i like the look of the wood on my basses.
Still a little Ronseal on any old block of wood would do just the same :lol:

I can appreciate the addiction in building your own but i just can't get over the fact you are dismantling a gorgeous bass to do it.
Did you ever agree on a selling price out of curiosity.
Its a real shame you are so far away cause i might have went for this. I like it.

Here's a thought - why not just give it to me and that will make up for all the distress you've caused me with the block of wood comment :thank_you:

I've just noticed I'm addicted to adding these stupid little faces to everything. Damn !!!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7