Why become a member? ×

Using a Netbook + Reaper for noodling etc

Bottle

Hi chaps

I've been using Reaper on and off for the last couple of years (yes, I bought a licence too :P hehehe). Currently have two machines - an old desktop Athlon 1.6GHz machine and my trusty old Toshiba Satellite A20, which is now a bit long in the tooth and in urgent need of some TLC to keep it going.

My fiance and I have recently started looking at getting a replacement laptop (her Dell is dying as well), and were considering a Netbook of some description (maybe a pair so we could each have one hehehe)

One of the things I would love to be able to do is set up my M-Audio Fast-Track Pro again and use Reaper to noodle some song ideas on etc - only a couple of tracks at a time - my clean bass and an effected channel too.

I might also use my iPod to play along to, i.e. iTunes + bass through the M-Audio.

What things should I be looking for - the specs will be lower than my Tosh but will Reaper run reliably on say the current HP offerings? Anybody had any luck getting something like this going? I'm looking into something that could potentially sit in my gigbag for those instances when I want to jot something down or play along to a track etc.

Ta,
Ian

Personally i'm not a fan of netbooks for anything, i'd prefer a lower end notebook over a netbook any day, but disregarding all that, don't get an Acer Aspire netbook, we've got 20 here at work and they're the worst things i've ever used. My dad had a Zoostorm (can't remember the specific model) which wasn't bad at all, although for running anything like Reaper i'm not too sure, especially on the tiny screen.

All IMO of course.

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1336738495' post='1650229']
Personally i'm not a fan of netbooks for anything, i'd prefer a lower end notebook over a netbook any day, but disregarding all that, don't get an Acer Aspire netbook, we've got 20 here at work and they're the worst things i've ever used. My dad had a Zoostorm (can't remember the specific model) which wasn't bad at all, although for running anything like Reaper i'm not too sure, especially on the tiny screen.

All IMO of course.

Liam
[/quote]
Liam

All good points - I've kinda gone off the idea of a Netbook, after seeing reviews for the Asus etc - the HP seems to be OK for the money, so my fiancee [i]may[/i] get one as a wedding present :P I'm leaning towards one of the low-end Toshiba notebooks for about £350, that will be considerably better than my current Tosh (six years old running WinXp SP3).

Thanks for the input, it's helped clear some things up!

Ian