Why become a member? ×

A P Bass pickup wire came loose

I've got a Wizard Thumper in my P Bass and whilst I was changing the pickup covers on it the wee wire that connects the two parts of the pickup together became disconnected from the treble side. It's always looked a wee bit flimsy, to be honest I don't think the person that did a lot of the "upgrades" to the bass before I got it really knew what they were doing. Anyway, should it be straight forward enough to just re-solder the wire back to its original place? I was ready to just grab my soldering iron and put it back but after reading something in another thread I thought I'd better check first!

The other thread is here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175687-selling-fender-american-passive-jazz-bass-pickups-2-volume-controls-1-master-tone-control-and-accessories-price-drop-l40/

The wee wires that come off the coil (and ultimately terminate at the solder blob) don't like being heated too much and can just burn out like a fuse. If you are good with an iron and confident that you can complete the job in under a second or two then go for it... otherwise it's a bit of a gamble.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1336742844' post='1650316']
I've got a Wizard Thumper in my P Bass and whilst I was changing the pickup covers on it the wee wire that connects the two parts of the pickup together became disconnected from the treble side. It's always looked a wee bit flimsy, to be honest I don't think the person that did a lot of the "upgrades" to the bass before I got it really knew what they were doing. Anyway, should it be straight forward enough to just re-solder the wire back to its original place? I was ready to just grab my soldering iron and put it back but after reading something in another thread I thought I'd better check first!

The other thread is here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175687-selling-fender-american-passive-jazz-bass-pickups-2-volume-controls-1-master-tone-control-and-accessories-price-drop-l40/"]http://basschat.co.u...price-drop-l40/[/url]
[/quote]
Hey Jono,
As said above ^^ If you're not confident in doing the job, feel free in sending it down to me & I'll do my very best to repair it for you, it'll only cost the postage.
[u][b]OR have a word with Andy at Wizard [/b][/u][b] B)[/b]
Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1336744912' post='1650359']

Hey Jono,
As said above ^^ If you're not confident in doing the job, feel free in sending it down to me & I'll do my very best to repair it for you, it'll only cost the postage.
[u][b]OR have a word with Andy at Wizard [/b][/u][b] B)[/b]
Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Hi John,

Cheers for the kind offer, but I've only just seen your post now, and I've already had a handful of brave pills and done it myself :D

The connection seems solid enough, and was fairly straight forward, once I've got my new scratchplate I can hook it up to your wiring harness, if there's any problems I'll be in touch :)