Why become a member? ×

Bi-Amping and effects

KingBollock

I wasn't sure where to put this, but as I think the main question is about the capabilities of my old Boss GX-700 I thought I'd stick it in here.

I have never bi-amped before, but as I was reading about my Peavey T-Max's built in crossover, I thought I'd look into it a bit. I quite like the idea of trying to set it up so that I can sort of cover a basic rythmn Guitar's sonic space, say in a 3 piece band setting. If you see what I mean.

The thought, from the beginning of the chain to the end, is to plug Bass into T-Max as normal, run the low frequency from the crossover into the T-Max mono power amp and out into my normal Bass cabs. Then run the high frequency from the crossover into my Boss GX-700, where I can add Guitar effects and split the signal into a stereo signal, and out into my stereo power amp and into the pair of cabs I usually use for my normal Guitar rig.

I wonder if I'd be better off splitting the signal before the pre-amp of the T-Max and splitting it through come kind of crossover that would work with the signal straight from the Bass. But one of the things I like about my above solution is that I wouldn't have to buy anything else to make it work, it's all already there and even in the same rack.
My biggest question is would the GX-700 take the line signal from the crossover without melting? It does have an input level adjustment knob but I don't know how effective it would be for this and the manual isn't very clear on it.

Just in case these might help, there is a scan of the GX-700 manual online, here:

[url="http://www.gx700.freeservers.com/"]http://www.gx700.freeservers.com/[/url]

The page about the Input Level is page 11:

[url="http://gx700.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/images/GX700manual/Section1/GX700_11.jpg"]http://gx700.freeser...n1/GX700_11.jpg[/url]

Peavey T-Max manual:

[url="http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80302264.pdf"]http://www.peavey.co...ls/80302264.pdf[/url]

There's probably a very obvious answer, but, considering how long I've been playing, there are somethings I am very inexperienced, or lack confidence in.

EDIT: I wonder if it might be a better idea to allow the full range of frequencies to go through the Bass side and only allow the high frequencies to go out and through the GX-700, that way I don't lose them from the Bass. My question then is can I still use the normal pre-amp out at the same time as using the crossover high out? What would happen if I tried to leave everything as it is but tap the high frequency from the crossover? Would that work?

Edited by KingBollock

Your plan wont hurt anything, might as well give it a go. It's also the correct way to do it as far as the crossover is concerned, you wont find many that will work with the instrument-level signal before the preamp. Your gx700 might well clip as you think, just keep the gains low.

The alternative would of course be the much-coveted Akai Unibass. Or faking one with a pedal board consisting of a splitter, octave up and distortion. That's essentially what your rack would be doing, just at the pedal board stage.

Thanks dude, that's good to know.

Thinking about it, though, I don't want to lose the high frequencies from my Bass sound, I'm happy with that as it is. So is it possible to just tap the high frequencies by running the high output from the crossover to the GX-700, or will plugging into the crossover disengage the preamp from the internal power amp? I think there are other places in the chain where I can split the whole signal, but then I would need the octave up pedal, like you said, and then run it through the GX-700. My Zoom effects unit will do that but it doesn't sound very good, it sounds a bit "digitally".

But, as you say, if it won't do any harm then I can just experiment and see what happens. The trouble is that the rack is a pain in the bum to get to the back of, it never leaves my music room, so I like to get an idea before I go pulling it out. I need to get one of those tall racks on wheels. Oh! There's a project idea for the future!

An idea would be to split the signal and have one of those split signal be full-range for your bass sound. The other could then go into the crossover, from which you only take the high output for your guitar sound.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1336933486' post='1652944']
An idea would be to split the signal and have one of those split signal be full-range for your bass sound. The other could then go into the crossover, from which you only take the high output for your guitar sound.
[/quote]
The crossover is built in, it doesn't have an input, it's input comes straight from the preamp. I need to know if by using the crossover I'm disengaging the preamp from the power amp altogether (in the way headphones will in some amps). I've had this amp for a long time but I've never bothered with the crossover before because the manual is rubbish and I've been able to find out very little about the way it works.

I read recently that to use it you run one of the signals back into the built in power amp using a patch lead, and the other off into another amp. This would suggest that the preamp is indeed disengaged or else I'd be running the full signal and one from the crossover into the same amp, which would be bad. But I don't know how much of what I read was fact.

Sounds like there's much playing about to be had! :D

Another idea for your bi-amping idea would be a pedal with 2 outs (such as an octaver with a wet & dry out). You can then affect both your sub and clean channels with effects separately, though this would probably mean that the xover you have is left out.

I do this with my Peavey TNT (well I run my pedals full range but anyway) I have the hi output from the crossover going straight to a guitar amp, and leave the lo output unplugged. This seems to send the full range from the pre to the power section of the peavey amp giving me full range to the combo speaker.

The easiest way to test is to plug a patch lead into the hi output of the crossover and see if it drops all the high end from your sound.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1336997899' post='1653664']
I do this with my Peavey TNT (well I run my pedals full range but anyway) I have the hi output from the crossover going straight to a guitar amp, and leave the lo output unplugged. This seems to send the full range from the pre to the power section of the peavey amp giving me full range to the combo speaker.

The easiest way to test is to plug a patch lead into the hi output of the crossover and see if it drops all the high end from your sound.
[/quote]
Thanks! This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I shall trying as soon as I get the chance.