Why become a member? ×

Glover's Rick

I was just watching one of the early episodes of Metal Evolution.
In it Purple do a live version of Smoke on the Water.
Anyone know what Rick Roger Glover is playing? It looks like the standard 4001/4003 type shape but has what looks like two black back sloping single coil pick-ups in a similar position to where neck and mid are on a strat (if that makes sense).

Edited by Leon Transaxle

It's a 4001 with Jazz pickups (at an angle because of the string spacing). The Jazz pickups were added in an attempt to get more low end - they obviously didn't know about bypassing the capacitor on the 4001 basses to do this. Glover (or his roadie) tried to sneak this bass through customs & got caught.

Some folk just like the look and feel of them, if not the sound. Where some would buy the bass that produces the sound they like (like Bruce Foxton with the P-bass), others mod the Rick to do so, like Roger, Lemmy and Cliff Burton to name but a few.

I remember reading a thread on TalkBass about the restoration of Roger's Rick (second article, top row):

[url="http://www.rauenguitars.com/samples.html"]http://www.rauenguitars.com/samples.html[/url]

On the subject of Ricks with two Jazz Bass pickups in the neck position, I remember seeing a picture of Glen Matlock with a Fireglo with that same modification.