Why become a member? ×

Cheap Carbon Fibre Bows

Subfeeder

I'm looking to get a cheap(ish) Carbon Fibre Double Bass Bow (French)
My 2 options are:
Yita (Chinese) off Ebay, they do a standard, advanced and top model
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_cbbf3_44_carbon_bassbow.htm"]Thomann CBB-03F 4/4 Carbon Bassbow [/url]
Anybody have any experience of the Thomann bow or any similar priced bows they sell? I've read some good reviews of the Yita bows but nothing about the Thomann bow
Thanks

Edited by Subfeeder

Im planning to get one of the top model ones of ebay. Ive seen a lot of professional players using them as they do take a good beating and my teacher recommended them.

I would say get the best bow you can, cheaper bows quite of often dont balance that well and the hair that comes on them isnt great. 150 for what i hope is going to be a great bow seems good to me and ill let you know if i get mine soon.

To ask a quick question myself, is it better to get 3/4 or a 4/4 bow? i forgot to ask my teacher. My current one is a 4/4.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1337011629' post='1653959']
To ask a quick question myself, is it better to get 3/4 or a 4/4 bow? i forgot to ask my teacher. My current one is a 4/4.
[/quote]
From what I have learnt on these and other forums, less than full size (4/4) bows are for young people.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a German and French one. One cost about £200 the other was 'free' with the bass. I can't really tell the difference yet.

My point is that, until you have some emblance of ability with one and some insight into what they are supposed to be for, it is hard for you to make an assessment. I say get one of this starter bows and plunge right in. Endorka, on here, has one of the Yita bows and swears by it as do several others. I say try one and then, when you are nailing it, you can try out one made of unicorn horn and angel's hair and know where best to spend the money.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1338462484' post='1674870']
I have a German and French one. One cost about £200 the other was 'free' with the bass. I can't really tell the difference yet.

My point is that, until you have some emblance of ability with one and some insight into what they are supposed to be for, it is hard for you to make an assessment. I say get one of this starter bows and plunge right in. Endorka, on here, has one of the Yita bows and swears by it as do several others. I say try one and then, when you are nailing it, you can try out one made of unicorn horn and angel's hair and know where best to spend the money.
[/quote]

I've got one with angel's horn and unicorn hair. It doesn't sound too good.