Why become a member? ×

DR strings

Hi folks

I bought a bass from basschat last year and its time to change the (roundwound) strings. I am a total noob when it comes to strings and I'm really confused by the options. I really like the strings that are on it but the seller couldn't remember what they were. This is what he told me:

"I remember the strings are DR but not very sure about the particular model,either LowRiders,Marcus Miller or Highbeams.Gauge I use is always middle,.45 on the G.Sorry I don't recall more..."

Its a 5 string bass with 35" scale length, and I play everything from finger style motown to pretty hard punk with a pick. Looking at the DR website there are so many options I have no idea what to go for...

Any suggestions? Do I need to buy specifically long strings for a 35" bass?

From the DR website you've most likely discovered that Hi-Beams use a round core and Lo-Riders use a hex core. Other than the core, these strings are identical in all other respects, including being finished with a "stainless steel" outer wrap. Sunbeams are the "nickel" outer wrap equivalent of Hi-Beams, and, as the name suggests, Lo-Rider Nickels are the "nickel" equivalent of Lo-Riders. Marcus Millers are, effectively, Hi-Beams under another name.

With a string that's a year - or more - old it would be difficult to tell which design it is, so you could either decide based on characteristics - round core has more compliance than hex core; round core has more mass (more output) than hex core; hex core has more "air" (brightness) than round core - or just cut through one of the heavier strings in the set, and look at the profile of the core.

Edited by noelk27