Why become a member? ×

So What Video

lobematt

I'm learning so much from it already. A true master! Quick question for you though Bilbo, just writing the transcription out now, when do I need to go out of bass clef and into treble or write things and octave lower with the 8ve thing over it? A lot of this stuff is 4 or 5 lines ledger lines higher than the standard stave!

It is always a judgement call. If you go above C on the first ledger line of your transcription, you have the option of using terble clef but, if this is for one or two noites, you wouldn't bother and you woudl used ledger lines (the first ledger line ABOVE bass stave is middle C, the first ledge line BELOW the treble stave is also middle C; that's where the 'transition' is between the two clefs.). If there is a passage well above that that goes on for several bars then you can consider treble clef or tenor clef or, as you say, the 8va/15mb option. It is up to the transcriber to make the chart as easy as possible to read and, in my experience, all three options are used with equal frequency. I guess it also depends on whether your transcription is for study or reading on a gig.

Here are a couple of useful links. I wouldn't try to 'learn' it all but it is certainly wirth thinking about some of the basics about the processes involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clef

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8ve