Why become a member? ×

P pickup - bridge position

Dom in Dorset

Double P's are ace.
In fact, almost any quality humbucker design positioned well back towards the bridge can give good results in combination with a mid/neck pickup. If it can be coil-tapped, so much the better
The only people who wouldn't like it are those who must have single coils or have to have a MMHB in the (so-called) "sweet-spot"
The biggest potential issue I can see is string/polepiece alignment.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1337496137' post='1660741']
What controls are most common? VVT, or perhaps VVTT? (I don't do actives)
[/quote]
VVTT is the most versatile, but if you've not got space for the extra knob, then Volume/Blend/Tone would be what I would go for.

Reversing the bridge to the neck pickup is a good cool but I'd consider having the neck one reversed from the "traditional" configuration so that the portions picking up the D and G strings were furthest apart and the those picking up the E and A closest together.

For controls I still haven't heard a passive blend I was convinced by so I'd go for VVTT and a guitar style pickup selector switch.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337522210' post='1661275']
Reversing the bridge to the neck pickup is a good cool but I'd consider having the neck one reversed from the "traditional" configuration so that the portions picking up the D and G strings were furthest apart and the those picking up the E and A closest together.

For controls I still haven't heard a passive blend I was convinced by so I'd go for VVTT and a guitar style pickup selector switch.
[/quote]
I installed a blend in my passive Westfield P/J and even though it's a P/J it still works well, I really like it. It was just an experiment but it worked so well I kept it in there.