Why become a member? ×

Bernard Edwards

YouMa

I still cant nail this tune! I can play it and can nail most chic,diana,bernard bass lines but the timing/mute thing just is beyond me. I love the cest chic album so much its the reason i got serious about bass,guy pratts youtube version is ok but not like the original. i cant believe so little info is going on about bernard edwards,he was a master up there with Jaco.Any searching i have found always concentrates on Niles and the youtube stuff indicates Bernard was pissed off with the whole industry. Any fellow disco junkies who can play this line well?

nah mate,i see where you are coming from,but that styling was a trick,i mean im sure 16th/ghost notes was just really coming into its own in the disco period but it has to be one part of that snap i just have not got yet and im pretty good,i dont seem to have a problem with picking up 16th/ghost ala norman watt roy. Anyhow im not trying to replicate bernard just be able to nail his technique.

Edited by YouMa

I've been told my way sounds pretty close to the orginal recording, though I don't hear it personally!

Not many people know of my secret love for Disco, being in a few metal bands and that :lol:

In my experience (not true of everyone though!) you have to feel it. It's a cliche but it's true.

If you have to think about it, it won't happen. I'm pretty good at mimicking other styles and specific players, and I find it's all in the mind really

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Its not a "logical" line in so much as its a bit unnatural - to me anyway. I've probably never "nailed" it but have had a lot of fun trying. I just finished the Nile Rodgers autobiography and you can pick up bits about Bernie Edwards through the book. I think Nile was a much better salesman than Bernie so got a lot of the production jobs after. For me, i can almost imagine Chic without Nile but never without Bernie. His lines were unique.

One thing to bare in mind with Bernard Edwards is that he wasn't afraid to use a pick once in a while. I busted my balls for weeks to try and nail Everybody Dance until I read an article that said he used a pick and subtle palm muting when he recorded that song. As soon as I started to play that song with a pick it all began to make sense. Dance, Dance, Dance also doesn't sound right without using a pick. Some folks say that he used to use the surface of his index fingernail as a pick, but take my word for it I have tried that method and it bloody hurts very quickly!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1337522281' post='1661278']
Dance also doesn't sound right without using a pick. Some folks say that he used to use the surface of his index fingernail as a pick, but take my word for it I have tried that method and it bloody hurts very quickly!
[/quote]

James Jamerson used to do that for 16ths too (according to his son)

I suppose as he only used one finger, he had to get double value from it :)

Edited by daz