Why become a member? ×

Ongoing saga of in ear monitors!!

So the saga continues - last year I bought some T15 monitors from ACS and fitted them to some standard ER15 moulds that I had already. The bottom end on these was awful to say the least so after speaking with ACS they were brilliant and offered me a full refund and a cracking price to trade up to their new T2 Live dual driver monitors which are a top mark moulded in ear monitor.

I had these delivered a couple of weeks ago and have been trying them out at home and at rehearsals. Problem I have is that the bottom end and general sound seems much better from the standard buds that came with the Audio Technica IEM system. Why is this?

Are the ACS tuned towards vocalists? They certainly seem louder and brighter with more top end but as a bass player that is not really what I need! I would have thought that with a separate low end driver there would be much more bottom end than with the AT buds but certainly not the case. The guys at ACS said that the dual drivers produce loads of bass and they would be more than capable of giving me what I need but this just is not happening.

This afternoon I A/B d the ACS monitors against the AT buds and then ran the same settings on the bass straight into my rig and I would say that the AT buds were a much closer reference of my actual bass sounds than what I was hearing through my ACS monitors.

It seems such a shame to spend the money on these and then end up using the standard buds that came with the system. Surely this isn't rights?

Am I doing something wrong? Any advice tips or other experiences gratefully received.

Only thing I can think of is you aren`t getting a good seal with the ACs and for decent bass response that`s essential.
Or, they aren`t seated right in the mould
Try slightly warming the moulds to make them a little more pliable and once you have the ACS inserted, gently squeeze all around the seal area.
MM

Ok will try that but they certainly feel like they are in properly.

I'm not wrong in thinking that these should sound stacks better than the AT buds am I?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1337554282' post='1662025']
Only thing I can think of is you aren`t getting a good seal with the ACs and for decent bass response that`s essential.
Or, they aren`t seated right in the mould
Try slightly warming the moulds to make them a little more pliable and once you have the ACS inserted, gently squeeze all around the seal area.
MM
[/quote]

They should sound better yes, but it`s all relative.
I`m really quite happy using £40 sennheisers for drummers on IEMs so long as the mould they sit in is good.
I can only really say what I said in the other thread about IEMs and quality, which is if the ATs sound good, then use them.
Try not to get sucked into the £100 more gets you x10 the quality, because it often doesn`t.
Re: your other thread about balanced to unbalanced xlr to 1/4 jack, have a look at the manual and check if the input on your transmitter IS balanced, because it matters and bottom end is where it matters most.
I`ve been where you are now, running around in circles trying to pin a problem down, but my advice is get the input sorted properly, before you worry about the phones.
MM

Yeah I agree what you say about money doesn't always buy the best sound but surely with two seperate drivers and one for bass only the laws of physics say that it should produce more bottom end?

Have e-mailed ACS to see what they say.

BTW checked the IEM manual and it says that it is a dual jack/xlr input - doh. Never seen one before but will try and see how the cable fits when I have 2 seconds.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1337593136' post='1662312']
They should sound better yes, but it`s all relative.
I`m really quite happy using £40 sennheisers for drummers on IEMs so long as the mould they sit in is good.
I can only really say what I said in the other thread about IEMs and quality, which is if the ATs sound good, then use them.
Try not to get sucked into the £100 more gets you x10 the quality, because it often doesn`t.
Re: your other thread about balanced to unbalanced xlr to 1/4 jack, have a look at the manual and check if the input on your transmitter IS balanced, because it matters and bottom end is where it matters most.
I`ve been where you are now, running around in circles trying to pin a problem down, but my advice is get the input sorted properly, before you worry about the phones.
MM
[/quote]