Why become a member? ×

Metronome Software

Wooks

I've got the standard metronome software which I practice along too, that ticks along at whatever BPM that you care to dial into it to practice along to until you either get bored or tired out with that particular tempo and then have to stop change the tempo manually and loose the flow of your practice.
I was wondering does anybody know of a metronome or some kind of metronome / music software that you dial in a setting that will gradually increase in tempo without having to stop playing. I.E. you say can start off at say 60 bpm and the tempo of the click gradually increase to say 140bpm or whatever tempo over a given period. Anybody know of anything out there that is capable of doing this at all??

[url="http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php"]Guitar pro[/url] is a fantastic programme which does this and a whole lot more! Of course, if you have no use for anything except an accelerating metronome, you might feel that you're paying a bit too much (€59), so [url="http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php"]here's a free version of something which does pretty much the same but is nothing like as good[/url] (I'm pretty certain it'll do your metronome thing though)

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='180546' date='Apr 19 2008, 03:56 PM'][url="http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php"]Guitar pro[/url] is a fantastic programme which does this and a whole lot more! Of course, if you have no use for anything except an accelerating metronome, you might feel that you're paying a bit too much (€59), so [url="http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php"]here's a free version of something which does pretty much the same but is nothing like as good[/url] (I'm pretty certain it'll do your metronome thing though)[/quote]
Thanks for that I'll give them a go!! If you know where to look most things nowadays are "free" :)
Anybody have any other suggestions on any progs that they use too?

A little off topic, but I don;t think it's a good idea to increase the tempo as you are playing, else it might sneak in as a regular habit.

I prefer to play, stop - increase the tempo, then play some more. I just worry that if you are used to speeding up as you play that will be the natural thing to do, even when you aren;t intending to you amy find yourself pushing the beat a little too much.

Software wise though a lot of recording software has a facility to set up a click that changs speed. But that could be a v.expensive route

[quote name='gilmour' post='181154' date='Apr 20 2008, 05:18 PM']A little off topic, but I don;t think it's a good idea to increase the tempo as you are playing, else it might sneak in as a regular habit.[/quote]
That's a good point about the increase of tempo whilst playing. I wasn't very clear. My instructor has told me to practice my scales using a metronome, (which I do!), and to slowly increase the tempo so that my dexterity get's better. I.E. say a Gmaj.scale starting at 70bpm a few runs throughs at this tempo then increase to 80 bpm a few run throughs, etc, etc. So I was looking for software which would enable me to do this :)

Edited by Wooks

[quote name='Wooks' post='181212' date='Apr 20 2008, 06:35 PM']That's a good point about the increase of tempo whilst playing. I wasn't very clear. My instructor has told me to practice my scales using a metronome, (which I do!), and to slowly increase the tempo so that my dexterity get's better. I.E. say a Gmaj.scale starting at 70bpm a few runs throughs at this tempo then increase to 80 bpm a few run throughs, etc, etc. So I was looking for software which would enable me to do this :)[/quote]

That's what I figured you wanted it for, I still feel it's best to rpactice at one tempo, pause, then at a faster tempo, pause etc. I think if you practice with tthe speed continually increasing over time it won't do your time keeping much good as you'll be used to it speeding up. It needn't be a long pause, only a few secs (or however long it takes to up the speed of your click) but I personally feel that obvious diferentiation between the two tempos is very important, and give my students the same advice.

Speed can be used as an expression in the same way as pitch, volume etc.

[quote name='gilmour' post='181348' date='Apr 20 2008, 09:13 PM']That's what I figured you wanted it for, I still feel it's best to rpactice at one tempo, pause, then at a faster tempo, pause etc. I think if you practice with tthe speed continually increasing over time it won't do your time keeping much good as you'll be used to it speeding up. It needn't be a long pause, only a few secs (or however long it takes to up the speed of your click) but I personally feel that obvious diferentiation between the two tempos is very important, and give my students the same advice.

Speed can be used as an expression in the same way as pitch, volume etc.[/quote]
You can deal with that just by putting in an empty bar, surely?

I think all of the above is good advice, it's me being lazy :) But you know what it's like when you get into the flow you don't want any to stop you. But there again my tutor is always telling me to slow down :brow: So maybe I should stick to just playing scales to my metronome, and when I need to change tempo just stop change it and then go on and stop being lazy :huh:
Like I said I want to improve my dexterity issues, anybody any tips or patterns they use for this one?

Edited by Wooks