Why become a member? ×

Warning-Zombie Content! 70 year old Bassist

Went to see The Zombies last night in Yeovil as have always liked Colin Blunstones voice. Last time I saw him was in 1974 at Leeds Poly around the time of "I don't believe in Miracles" and just happened to have a poster for that gig which I took along last night for signing.

Anyway was very pleasantly surprised, current band is Rod Argent (an ex Zomie), Jim Rodford on Bass ( ex Argent), Steve Rodford on drums and a local guy Tom Toomey on Guitar. The gig was for "Music for Africa" which is a childrens charity set up by Tom and he sends guitars and money to help budding musicians out there.

Voices and harmonies were spot on, Colin still has that amazing voice. Jim Rodford on bass sounded good too, through a Mark Bass amp and what looked liked a small New York cab miked through the PA. He was playing a headless Status which had a lovely tone. Believe it or not Jim is 70, even his son has grey hair!

Both Colin Blunstone and Jim Rodford are 66 but I wonder if Jim is one of the oldest UK gigging Bassists?

Link to Music for Africa: [url="http://www.musicforafrica.org.uk/welcome_01.php"]http://www.musicfora.../welcome_01.php[/url]

Edited by yorks5stringer

Thanks for posting! That was a luvly read.
From what I've heard of them, The Zombies are a hit or miss live these days. Some stuff is marred by those ghastly synth sounds and terrible synth parts (who plays that stuff? - can't be Rod now can it?). Some other stuff happily is spot on or better than that, sometimes surpassing the originals imho. Colin's voice is still luverly, yes.

best,
bert