Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller - Renaissance

Just discovered this on Spotify today (was one of those 'recommended' albums they have on load up) and I am absolutely loving it! So glad to hear he has left all that horrible 90's style drum programming behind and gone with more organic feel on this album using bass, drums, gtr, keys and some horns, the album really breathes because of it. The compositions are a big step forward for Marcus I feel, no more predictable structures and melodic/harmonic movements but it still retains his signature sound. The performances are outstanding from everyone involved with Marcus showcasing his usual impeccable chops, tone and timing but with a few new twists here and there.
I guess this is ultimately the album I would love to write: groove based jazz/funk with strong improvisational elements but a heavy emphasis on melody and pocket.
I'm so glad he has written this album!
What do y'all think??
C

Love it - saw him in Cheltenham Jazz Festival for the first time where he played tracks from Renaissance and finished the show with Blast and since tracks from this new album have up been uploaded to YT I listen often.

I really cannot critique the work but can absolutely say that it sounds incredible, flawless and will I go and buy it? For sure.

I'm also eyeing up [url="http://www.thesmoothjazzcruise.com/2013/Lineup/Artists/itemid/464/amid/5693/marcus-miller"]http://www.thesmoothjazzcruise.com/2013/Lineup/Artists/itemid/464/amid/5693/marcus-miller[/url] .... I'm sure it would be plenty of fun .