Why become a member? ×

The bubble/'Nard Edwards

witterth

Guy Pratt ( who I love, sorry crez) talks about working hard to get "the bubble" in his book, and refs Bernard "the tash" Edwards, (Bass god)
I think I know what he's on about but need some help getting it down,can anyone help/direct me or explain in case I'm wrong in my assumption of what the "bubble" is. Ideas/vids chaps? I'm a bit confused.
Aaghh!!
No one?

Edited by witterth

Maybe he's just inventing a different name for something a lot of US players call The Pocket. Basically the time period around a single beat where you can play a note in front or behind the beat without it sounding out of place.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338924545' post='1681239']
Maybe he's just inventing a different name for something a lot of US players call The Pocket. Basically the time period around a single beat where you can play a note in front or behind the beat without it sounding out of place.
[/quote]
well thats what I thought, but if you listen to stuff like "We are Family" or "Freak Out" or "Good Times"
I can hear what he means by the "Bubble" is a kind of "cooking" ad hoc set of funky notes
(am I Mad? its not a riff, well "freak out"is a riff but does have a "bubble" moment) am I imaging this?
listen to what 'Nard does its just.. so...cool and I cant get it, help me! you see.
I hear it but cant get it or put into words. is that the "Thang"? christ, is it just I'm just a white guy approaching 50 and its never gonna happen?
I'll stop talking out loud now.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338924545' post='1681239']
[/quote]
No its not that I think I'm not explainig my self well I know the pocket Bernard had another thing...