Why become a member? ×

Sandberg P-bass type - passive... anyone got one?

fretmeister

I have a Sandberg TM4 which I love.

I've been looking at P-basses and noticed they do a passive P bass (VS series I think) - but can anyone tell me about the neck profile etc? Is it P bass-a-like or more like a jazz?

Looking at the pictures here [url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calv-series/calvs"]http://www.sandberg-...lv-series/calvs[/url] the nut seems quite narrow compared to a Fender.

Any ideas?

Edited by fretmeister

I had a California PM (now VM) for a while. I know it's a bit different, but had a passive tone control and with the P pickup soloed it sounded pretty authentic IMO. The neck was nicer than any Fender P I've played (obviously!), but I can't really comment on how it compares to a TM because I haven't played one of those for a couple of years, and I've never had chance to A/B the two. Needless to say, the neck felt lovely and very easy to play.

Hope this helps a little!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1339280422' post='1686415']
Was the neck closer to being a P rather than a J?
[/quote]

It's hard to say to be honest, I had sold my Jazz before buying it, so I never compared it to a Fender. I guess I would say it's not like either! I suppose the nut width was possibly more J than P, but I don't have any measurements to back it up. The neck profile and fretboard radius isn't like a Fender bass at all IMO.

Why don't you ask a BCer who has a Cali V series to measure the nut for you? I think someone's selling one on here at the moment, or get in touch with Longtimefred, who plays a Cali VM and is a Sandberg Endorsee.