Why become a member? ×

Midi Bass

Kevin Dean

It certainly would be possible. You could use something like a GR-55 or any other GR that works with bass. However, you will have problems with triggering sounds at the lower frequencies nearer the nut. Move towards the bridge and that might not be such a problem. Have a look at some of Gary Willis' videos on youtube to get an idea of how it can be used.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHxSDP4EYy0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHxSDP4EYy0[/url]

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1339447211' post='1688744']
So apart from just changing the sound of the Bass could it trigger different riffs while keeping the origanal bass sound ?
[/quote]

If you are using a Roland Pickup (GK3B) then yes you can use the original bass sound along with synth/sampled sounds. Roland pickups have a three position switch. Synth/mix/original sound. Can't speak for other systems but I would imagine that would be the case with those too.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1339443454' post='1688636']
My local guitar shop is doing a great deal on an Aria Midi bass , as I,m finding it hard to get a keyboard player for my band could I use this to trigger keyboard sounds etc & good & hard could it be ?
[/quote]

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's an early 90s model with the individual pickup for each string built-in and the multi-pin connector. Unless it's part of the package (in the one I looked at, it wasn't) you still need a pitch to MIDI convertor. AFAIK since Axon went out of business, only Roland still make one to buy new. The issue is always tracking and latency (time it takes for the system to work out the pitch of the note and convert it to MIDI data). The lower the note the less effective these are. You will need to modify your playing style to get the best out of the instrument. Last time I looked at one of these string-to MIDI instruments it was still easier for me to learn how to play what I wanted on a keyboard than to change my playing enough to make the guitar a usable proposition. YMMV as they say. Only by trying one out will you be able to tell.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1339503734' post='1689367']
If you are using a Roland Pickup (GK3B) then yes you can use the original bass sound along with synth/sampled sounds. Roland pickups have a three position switch. Synth/mix/original sound. Can't speak for other systems but I would imagine that would be the case with those too.
[/quote]

GK3B is not Midi. You would need to fit something like a hexpander to it.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1339856745' post='1695485']
GK3B is not Midi. You would need to fit something like a hexpander to it.
[/quote]

...which is why I originally suggested the GR-55 which does away with the need for any in between box and gives you all the samples and synth sounds you need.