Why become a member? ×

realist

jimmybass04

hi there, im looking for any advice on pick up choice.
iv been using the realist pickup for a number of years now and iv never got what i call a decent sound from it. I know a lot of people rave about them but it aint working for me. Iv resolved most of the feedback issues with blocking the f holes and putting foam under the fingerboard and Eq ing , but another two gigs at the weekend with a bad sound drives you crazy. iv tried plugging straight in to an amp, or into the effects return,tried using different d i, but it looks like this pickup aint for me. iv ordered a new set of strings (helicore hybrids), and im looking at getting a new pickup maybe a bassmax ? but another £100 is a lot of cash if it still doesnt work for me, any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated on which way to go.
thanks, jimmy.

Expensive experiments. The only consolation is that if you buy second hand you'll get most of your money back when you change.

+1 on the Full Circle. Not cheap and needs an adjustable bridge, so the cost adds up. On the other hand I haven't heard anybody saying they got a terrible sound from it. Very feedback resistant in my experience, compared to the BassMax (but every bass is different, I guess.)

thanks for the advice guys , i put an old precision pickup on my double bass tonight (loud as fcuk) sounds like a big fretless.
not a double bass sound , but im going to leave it on as a backup. I think this combined with a mic could be a hassle free setup for live playing for the moment, untill i get more cash to try other pickups. cheers. the quest goes on .

Adding to what Bob said, I put a Kent Armstrong mag p/u on my Kolstein so that I have the choice between piezo (a Planet Wing) or mag, depending on the venue/gig. The KA actually sounds quite woody and authentically double bass-y, certain it has more of a DB vibe than a fretless vibe.

Do you want to try the Hurley Virtuoso pickup Jimmy? I was passing it around to see what people thought of it. It's a wing slot jobbie so you may need to sand out your slots a little to fit. It's somewhat similar to a Bassmax but not as bassy and a little more treble to my ears. There is also the Schatten pup that seems to get positive reviews.

If you want to try it pm me your details and I'll post it out.

hey thats very kind of you , im waiting on bassman getting back to me regarding his kent armstrong mag pickup, i thought id try it to see how i get on. thinkin of maybe using that and blending in a mic . i ll keep you posted mate , thanks again, jimmy.

• 3 weeks later...

I havent got one but my teachers have them and use it only for bowing amplified, they do say it is boomy and muffled pizz. Ive heard underwoods do
sound nice with fingers and i hate my fishman bp-100 but others have got a good sound from theirs.

Sam.

Edited by fatgoogle