Why become a member? ×

Which La Bella Flats for Tuning Down A Semitone?

discreet

[b]Which La Bella Flats for Tuning Down A Semitone?[/b]

Currently using a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats 760FL and I'm very pleased with them. Perfect for the soul band I was in. But now I'm in a rock band and I need to tune down a semitone. It's the law.

Trouble is when I do this with my current strings I suffer from floppiness (fnarr) which is no good at all.

But I still want to use La Bella Flats. If I change to 760M instead, would that give me the necessary tension, or compliance, or stiffness (fnarr) that I'm looking for, d'you think?

And would I need to fart about with the intonation/action etc very much? Eh? Eh? Thanks! :D

I was running the Original 54's on my '51P tuned DGCF & they were fine, better I felt than at EADG :lol: Less stress on the neck :blink:

What bass are you wanting them on?

Cheerz, John

Edit: Have you read the catalogue? [url="http://www.labella.com/catalog.pdf"]http://www.labella.com/catalog.pdf[/url]

Edited by KiOgon

I liked the '54s' for a while, but changed back to my favourites, GHS Precision Flats 55-70-90-105, I find them better balanced than the Bellas & still perfectly usable downtuned. How much set up they'll need depends a lot on what you're changing from & how it is now.

Have you tried Status Hot Wires BTW? I recently got some 45-65-85-105 & really pleased with. Especially at 1/2 the price of many others :happy:

Yep, I use the 760FM on my P and sometimes downtune a semitone. There's not much difference in feel on mine to be honest.

I don't bother mucking about with the set up when I do, there's not much in it on mine other than a bit of buzz on the 4th - intonation isn't [i]that [/i]much different. Although obviously if it's a permanent switch I would.

• 3 years later...