Why become a member? ×

help needed with ohms and connecting two cabs to one amp newbie here ;)

dannyt144

Hi folks I have just bought a hartke lh500 head and two hydrive 112 cabs.
I'm unsure of how to connect them all up properly as i've always used either 1 big cab or combo's

Info -

LH 500 - 500 watts and has two jack outputs at 8 ohm each (according to the back panel)

The two cabs are switchable between 8 and 4 ohms. i believe that i should be plugging the 8 ohm in one cab then take second output of cab in to the other cab (one output of amp and the join the two cabs together) is this right or should i put 1 output to one cab and other output to other cab???

8 ohms amp in to two 8 ohm cabs (which i think makes them 4ohms each???) ok or not lol!!!

Thanks in advance and apologies for my stupidty lol!!

Danny

[quote name='dannyt144' timestamp='1339763881' post='1693926']
8 ohms amp in to two 8 ohm cabs (which i think makes them 4ohms each???) ok or not lol!!!
[/quote]

The amp's output impedance isn't really an issue - if it's 4 ohm minimum total speaker impedance (just checked, it is), then yes, two eight ohm cabs in parallel will give you 4 ohms and draw maximum power from the amp.

[quote]
The two cabs are switchable between 8 and 4 ohms. i believe that i should be plugging the 8 ohm in one cab then take second output of cab in to the other cab (one output of amp and the join the two cabs together) is this right or should i put 1 output to one cab and other output to other cab???
[/quote]

Yep; set 'em to eight ohms - whether you daisy-chain cabs or go from individual speaker outputs is down to you, shouldn't make a difference; I'd be tempted to do the latter on the offchance that a cab output fails, but that's highly unlikely.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1339803346' post='1694860']
It would be if he had one/both cabs set to 4ohm. :)
[/quote]

The amp's output impedance is a small fraction of an ohm and is not usually listed in the specifications. 4Ω or 8Ω is not the amp's impedance but the minimum load impedance that the amp should be connected to.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1339833910' post='1695003']
The amp's output impedance is a small fraction of an ohm and is not usually listed in the specifications. 4Ω or 8Ω is not the amp's impedance but the minimum load impedance that the amp should be connected to.
[/quote]

The rest of the post I quoted looks like it's talking about minimum load. :)