Why become a member? ×

BRIWAX - adds lustre to your cluster!

Jazzneck

Sososososo here we go.
Sunday morning and Mrs. Jazzneck asks me to polish the coffe table.
After enquiring, I was told to use the Briwax and her best duster.
The table came up a treat, all semi matt and slippery and clean.
Aha, thinks oi, must try this on a bass!
Tried it on the rosewood fingerboard of my Bitsa P and, lo and behold, it has a wonderful finish and plays fantastically well - best it has ever done.
Having suffered the bollocking for playing with my bass again instead of doing some housework, I'll be doing the rest of them bass necks later.
I now thoroughly recommend Briwax for fingerboards.
Off to the pub to celebrate before the roast is ready.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1339930967' post='1696346']
Doesn't wax get all gooey and melt? Genuine question. I don't know
[/quote]
Not sure, is my honest answer, but FWIW:
I don't think this one does coz Mrs.J tells me she's used it on our open fire surround for years and having just checked it I see no problem.
Maybe Briwax is based on high molecular weight waxes ( I know it's dipersed in toluene and white spirit from the destructions on the tin) so I guess it's unlikely to "melt / go gooey" at normal UK temps. ?

Edited by Jazzneck

Briwax is great stuff!! And, a tin lasts for ages!

My brother had a through neck Strat style guitar made by Chris McIntyre way back in the 90's. He bought a 400g tin of Briwax shortly afterwards to maintain the lustre of his instrument. Here we are in 2012 and the guitar is still amazing, and the tin of Briwax has decades left of use still available.

its also a good altrernative to protect raw wood if youve just sanded your floorboards and want to leave them unvarnished

as for the toluene smell just cut up a few raw onions (across the rings) and leave in the room with door shut - not sure exactly how it works but i guess its some sort of reverse osmosis thing but all the toluene vapour gets absorbed by the onions

ive also used it on some flatpack raw unfinished ikea stuff - gives a nice shiny natural finish and the pine still colours well as it ages and just needs a quick top up with a thin coat of wax a couple of times a year

Yep, I love Briwax as well.

I dab some on finest grade wire wool for reconditioning fretboards and polishing frets. I leave it for about ten minutes and polish it off. It's fantastic stuff. My ebony boards on my Warwick and my classical guitar look and feel lovely now, not a trace of residue, just a nice sheen and very smooth, and it's good for the wood. I do the same thing with the ovangkol neck on the Warwick too.