Why become a member? ×

Elixir strings - a query!

I have a question about Elixir strings - are the stainless steel or nickel new? I have used them for a few years now and can't work out from their website which ones have just been launched!!!

I even sent them a message through their website and heard FA back.

If stainless steel are the new ones are they brighter sounding?

Any advice would be helpful.

The steel ones are the new ones.

They have upgraded the nickel ones as well apparently.

I don't know anyone who's tried the stainless ones yet though so can't comment on tone.

Official release says:

[color=#4C4C4C][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
"Our new Stainless Steel Nanoweb Coated Strings are perfect for players who love the ‘zingy’ clarity of steel, but have been put off in the past by the rough texture these strings sometimes have. Our product has that classic steel snap, but it also offers a smoother, more natural feel, thanks to the Nanoweb coating.”[/size][/font][/color]

Is stainless steel supposed to give a brighter sound than nickel then?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1340406324' post='1704255']
The steel ones are the new ones.

They have upgraded the nickel ones as well apparently.

I don't know anyone who's tried the stainless ones yet though so can't comment on tone.

Official release says:

[color=#4C4C4C][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
"Our new Stainless Steel Nanoweb Coated Strings are perfect for players who love the ‘zingy’ clarity of steel, but have been put off in the past by the rough texture these strings sometimes have. Our product has that classic steel snap, but it also offers a smoother, more natural feel, thanks to the Nanoweb coating.”[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1340449053' post='1704549']
Is stainless steel supposed to give a brighter sound than nickel then?
[/quote]

Obviously a bit of a generalisation but steels are usually brighter, and coarser on the fingers & fretboard, than nickel.

I'm sure you could find some nickels that are ultra bright and steels that sound a bit dull but if you get strings from the same manufacturer then the steels will usually be brighter.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340449151' post='1704553']
Is it possible to tell the difference under that horrible stuff they are coated in?
[/quote]

The newer the Elixirs the better the feel. Original ones were quite 'sticky' but I think the latest ones are really good. Last for ages & easy on the fingers for long gigs or if you don't have really tough callouses :)

I use them on all of my basses and really rate them. As Molan says they last for ages and give a really nice tone. If the stainless steel sound a bit more like tradional strings when they are first put on then I might be tempted to give them a blast.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1340456646' post='1704682']

The newer the Elixirs the better the feel. Original ones were quite 'sticky' but I think the latest ones are really good. Last for ages & easy on the fingers for long gigs or if you don't have really tough callouses :)
[/quote]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1340456646' post='1704682']
[/quote]

When did the coating change? I used to play in a band whose guitarists had them on their guitars and really didn't like the feel at all to the point where I would bring my own guitar (strung with D'Addarios) to rehearsals if I wanted to play a guitar idea for a song to them. This experience has left me less than enthusiastic about trying their bass strings, plus I play with a pick about 50% of the time and I've heard that the coating comes off if you do that.

Thomanns have them in stock.
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/elixir_stainless_steel_medium_bass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/elixir_stainless_steel_medium_bass.htm[/url]

There is another thread about these strings on here, although it seems to have died out as it was just about availability in the UK.

Thanks for the link, will order some today.

I normally try to use stringbusters when I can as their prices are good and delivery quick but they don't have them listed.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1340577463' post='1706634']
Thomanns have them in stock.
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/elixir_stainless_steel_medium_bass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/elixir_stainless_steel_medium_bass.htm[/url]

There is another thread about these strings on here, although it seems to have died out as it was just about availability in the UK.
[/quote]

Interestingly StringsDirect had them today - placed my order there as they were £10 cheaper than Thomann!

Will let you know how I get on with them.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1340608429' post='1706774']
Cool, I'll be interested in your thoughts.
I normally use Stringsdirect but haven't seen them on there yet either.
[/quote]