Why become a member? ×

Does the width of the nut slot effect tone?

Beedster

If the string sits very tightly in the nut slot would this impact on tone even if the string is fretted? I'm guessing it shouldn't, but on the bass in question the E slot seems to have been cut pretty narrow and all the E strings I've tried sound dead?

Thanks

C

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1340485753' post='1705239']
If the slot is [i]too [/i]narrow, the string will not sit right and will affect the resonance.
[/quote]

Thanks, the string appears to sit at the right height but has to be forced in to the slot? Should I widen the slot a little?
C

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1340486428' post='1705254']
You shouldn't have to force it in. You could easily break the corner of the nut off. Go for it yowf.
[/quote]

Potentially worrying advice from a guy with 'If it ain't broke, break it" in his sig :rolleyes:

My main concern is that the problem is not the nut given that the problem isn't just open string but runs up the entire neck. I'm probably oversimplifying things but I would assume that even if the string is too tightly gripped at the nut, it would only effect the open string tone?

C

The transfer is made through the nut,headstock and bridge anchor points regardless of where the note is fretted. If a slot is too tight at the sides it will not allow the 100% downforce needed. Even if it looks right, it isn't right if you are forcing the string in to the slot. It is being gripped by the nut rather than sitting in the slot. Wrap some 240 round the string and work it in. In this case it isn't broke as such but will be broken eventually.
Maybe i should change that signature to 'If it aint seated properly, widen the slot slightly' :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1340541630' post='1705782']
The transfer is made through the nut,headstock and bridge anchor points regardless of where the note is fretted. If a slot is too tight at the sides it will not allow the 100% downforce needed. Even if it looks right, it isn't right if you are forcing the string in to the slot. It is being gripped by the nut rather than sitting in the slot. Wrap some 240 round the string and work it in. In this case it isn't broke as such but will be broken eventually.
Maybe i should change that signature to 'If it aint seated properly, widen the slot slightly' :)
[/quote]

Thanks, I can see the logic, and i guess that widening the slot to provide the degree of 'room' around the string that's evident with the other strings can't cause a problem. I assume 240 is fine sandpaper or similar?

Thanks for your help

Chris

PS the problem with the notes certainly improves the further up the neck i go, to the point that the presence and sustain above the 12th fret is what i'd consider normal, is that also consistent with the nut being to tight?

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1340541630' post='1705782']
[/quote]

I prefer 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it. if it is broke, don't try and fix it yourself unless you're happy for it to be even more broke', which is kinda the story of my life when it comes to most forms of DIY :rolleyes: