Why become a member? ×

Sticky flats...

I've just put some halfwounds on my fretless to protect the fingerboard (as I had stainless steel rounds before which were quite aggressive to it), now as expected I'm struggling a bit with their 'stickiness' when I try to slide, harder to end up where I want due to the strings grabbing my fingertips... I think I have some Fast Fret left so I'll try that but are there any other tricks to solve this (besides just getting used to it of course), like some other product I could rub on the strings to lubricate them or something?

Halfwounds are a bit sticky when they first go on the bass. They do become more slippery as they are played in. I have a new set of D'Addario halfs on one bass that are just beginning to loose their stickiness after a few weeks. The old set of halfs on my Jazz are as slippery as flats now. Give them lots of playing and they should improve. I'd be interested to know if fast fret helps (or anything else for that matter).

I found the same thing, half rounds feel quite sharp at first but do settle in to be really smooth, does take a while. I had a worse problem with D' Addario chromes (flat wounds) they would feel very smooth but when playing on a hot stage any slight perspiration on my fingers would cause them to grab.
Hope this helps.

Try rubbing the strings with a cotton cloth or cotton wool moistened with methylated spirits. Then clean off with a dry cloth, before it evaporites. Be careful to protect the fretboard by putting something like plastic paper under the strings.