Why become a member? ×

Moog MF-101 Power Requirements

bassjamm

Hi all,

Just getting my head around all this power nonsense when it comes to pedals, so forgive me if this is a bit of a dumb question.

But what are the power requirements of a Moog MF-101? I know it needs 9v, and the Moog site says the following...105-125 volt, 5W. 220 volt power adaptor available on special order.

However, what ampage does it draw? I think I'm thinking along the right lines here. Basically, just wondering if it'll work on the pedal board I've got on the way (SKB PS-25) which has 6 9v outs, with a 500mA capacity. My other pedals will draw hardly anything, so plenty of juice will be there for the Moog if it were to find it's way on to the board.

I'm guessing I've missed something fairly obvious here, so please be patient with me.

That having been said, thank you very much for any help you may be able to offer.

Jam

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1340928734' post='1711765'] From what I've seen they're rated at max 100mAh but tend to run on 40-50 in reality so unlikely to be an issue. They definitely need to be isolated from other pedals and you'll a reverse polarity lead. [/quote]

Thank you kind sir

The 101 can be fussy when it comes to sharing power. I tried it on a daisychain, Shep tried powering it off his power brick (can't recall what it was) & we both had to give it it's own PSU.

simwells suggested trying a Diagio isolator or a Gigrig virtual battery in a previous thread (Shep might be using the latter now).

They're + tip & I run my 101 off a 12v 200ma PSU & it's perfect. I also did a copper shielding mod (put some copper sheets on the inside wood panels).

Boo!

I run 5 foogers from my GigRig generator. The all draw different power amounts and the MF-101 seems to want at least 200mA to not get noisy. The Moog supply that comes with it gives 300mA to allow headroom.

As mentioned it is tip positive - which is the opposite of most pedals and boss style stuff and they all require isolated supplies other than the Clusterflux which is happy to work without isolation (I assume thats part of the new board design and hopefully will be true of new foogers to come!).

So - reverse polarity, isolation and 200-300mA is what you need. It's obviously easier (and cheaper) with these to stick to the retail power supply, but for me it was a red tip adapter (reverse polarity) and a Virtual Battery bother from GigRig (and can be used with other supplies, not just the Generator).

Worth noting that my Moog Ring Mod and Phaser require exactly the same stuff, but the FreqBox is an arse and gets VERY noisy unless it gets lots of juice! The power supply for it gives it 300mA but I found ANYTHING less than that and it whinges (so Dan at gigrig modded a SupaNova adapter for me to give it over 1000mA).

On a note of power supplies. The Bass Murf is happy to run off anything & share, just as long as it gets over 300ma.
The PSU I use on the 101 is off a Phillips electric screwdriver (that I no longer have). Moog said they use + tip so you can use almost any household 9-15v PSU as long as the amps are ample. :)