Why become a member? ×

Choosing a Cable

FLASH

Finally upgraded to a Danelectro Wild Thing Bass at the weekend which I am loving. I am now looking to upgrade my other equipment. I must admit I am a novice when it comes to bass amps & cables. I have just been using basic £9.99 cables (don't even know the make).
A few people (non bass players) have said that the quality of my guitar cable can make a big difference to my quality of sound so I thought I would ask the experts, i.e basschat members, for an opinion/ advice.

How much of a difference can the quality of a guitar cable make?

Any suggestions of make and prices to pay for a quality cable would be appreciated.

Thanks Flash

ps My current amp is a Behringer 90 watt bass and I currently play 50's & 60's rock n roll, oasis, Chilli Peppers, Kings of Leon,etc. Mainly birthday party's, weddings, charity gigs.

I may as well start the avalanche of replies that will endorse OBBM cables - you cannot buy better for the money and the service is second to none.

If you have soldering skills or want to learn them then you may *just* manage to do it cheaper yourself using good quality components. I have fiddled about recently as a way of improving my soldering but in all honesty will go back to buying them from OBBM.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1340962290' post='1712005']
I may as well start the avalanche of replies that will endorse OBBM cables - you cannot buy better for the money and the service is second to none.

If you have soldering skills or want to learn them then you may *just* manage to do it cheaper yourself using good quality components. I have fiddled about recently as a way of improving my soldering but in all honesty will go back to buying them from OBBM.
[/quote]

+1

[url=http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/]And here's his web site[/url]

[/Thread]

I've been using Cleartone cables for a while now. Neutrik plugs, made to order, Van Damme cable - far better than anything I've used in the past and very well priced.

[url="http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html"]http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html[/url]

[quote name='FLASH' timestamp='1340960990' post='1711980']

A few people (non bass players) have said that the quality of my guitar cable can make a big difference to my quality of sound
[/quote]

Important to bear in mind quality and price aren't linked. Suitable cable connected properly to suitable connectors is all that is needed.

Yes, as Mr Foxen says, quality and price aren`t linked. OBBMs cables are a fraction more expensive than mainstream cables you can find in shops, but the difference in quality is amazing.

A good way of describing them is that when you plug your bass in with them for the first time, it sounds like you`ve changed your strings - more depth & clarity to the sound.

So another +1 for OBBM from me.

Thanks Guys for all the feedback, much appreciated. I will certainly be ordering a new cable from OBBM.

Hi Oranger Whip - Definitely loving the Wild Thing Bass makes playing so much easier compared to my first and only bass (Tanglewood Rebel) . A lot lighter and a thinner neck which suits my small hands. It also has the added bonus of looking great so all round happy with it. Still keeping my faithful Tanglewood as a back up and probably going to re-string to learn slap bass on.
Besides I always felt a little inadequate having just 1 bass when nearly everyone on basschat has numerous basses. I'm moving up in the world!!! LOL
Flash

[quote name='FLASH' timestamp='1341224034' post='1715252']
I will certainly be ordering a new cable from OBBM.[/quote]

Bit late to this obviously, and the work is already done! I will add to the obbm love, though.
You really cannot go wrong. :D