Why become a member? ×

Control layout VVT -v- VBT

fretmeister

I'm a bit confused. Taking a standard passive J bass, some have Vol Vol Tone and some have Vol Balance Tone.

With my limited GCSE knowledge of electronics I am under the impression that a Balance control in the mid position is both pickups at 100% and if you then favour the rear pup, that stays the same at 100% but the neck is lowered in the mix.

Is this correct? I am confused because I've read some stuff saying with the balance in the middle each is only giving 50% and moving the balance increases the one you are favouring. To me, that sounds like bollocks as the one at 50% would never reduce to nil - meaning you'd never get just the bridge pup, or just the neck.

I'm curious really - I hate multiple vol controls. I want 1 knob that can turn the damn thing on or off.

ta!

One of these: [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/electronics/250k-pots/dual-250kmn-blendbalance-audio-taper-pot-w-centre-detent-p-1560.html"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/electronics/250k-pots/dual-250kmn-blendbalance-audio-taper-pot-w-centre-detent-p-1560.html[/url]

Basically, its an audio tapered pot, with 100% both inputs in the centre, rather than 50% of both, or 70%.

Hmm... I had a VBT system in a Jazz a few years ago and I sacked it. Seems I had what Luke is referring to - a 50/50 pot in there and the swell of volume when turned towards the rear pup wasn't to my liking. I never really though about these mixes! Thanks for bringning this issue to the fore.