Why become a member? ×

Where do you stand when you play

BottomE

Hi

When watching other bands it seems that most players stand pretty close to their amps. Theres many reasons i can imagine why this is the preferred option. I tend to try and get as far away as possible from my speakers in order to feel more comfortable when i play. When its loud and i am right on top of the speakers i find it quite inhibiting.

Where do you prefer to stand when playing in a band situation at a gig?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341069034' post='1713470']
Given the choice, to the left of my amp and the drummer. However it's usually 'wherever I can bloody fit myself in' .
[/quote]

Pretty much :)

Space is often limited, so... wherever I can.
When space is not so much of a problem, I tend to stay near the amp so that I can hear myself well, somewhere where I can hear me, the drums and get some vocals/guitar from the monitors. I often use a wireless so that cables are not in the way.

Actually to be serious, I prefer to be to the drummer's right, so a. I can face the rest of the band without taking anyone's block off with my headstock and b. so I can see what the drummer is up to! The second one was historically because I spent too long in a soul band where the drummer needed extensive lessons on keeping in time with the band!

In terms of hearing myself, that depends on the rig i'm using. Small gig - CMD151p get as far away from the bugger as can (though by the very nature of a "small" gig, that'd probably have to be somewhere off stage!!) as all the useful audible tones get thrown well out into the audience... Big Gig - add HR104, stand anywhere as the 4x10 sits better in the on-stage mix.

Behind a mic stand, in front of a monitor, always stage left. Amp is sometimes way back, sometimes right behind me. Depends on the size of the stage (usually tiny). As I sing and need to be by the mic, I always DI and monitor though the front wedge - so backline volume is not important.

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1341069712' post='1713484']
...I prefer to be to the drummer's right, so a. I can face the rest of the band without taking anyone's block off with my headstock and b. so I can see what the drummer is up to![/quote]

Good call, though I prefer the other side because I like to be sure of hearing the hi-hat.

I always try and stand behind a pillar, PA speaker stack, curtain...basically anything that hides me from the angry crowd :)

Mostly though snare drum side of the drummer. Just seems natural. Tried the other side and no, just no :) Confused the drummer as well tbh.

Don't you find that its inhibiting if you can hear bass overwhelmingly more than anything else? Turn down to where its comfortable to play and thats not loud enough for the room.

Would it be a good idea to put one cab on either side of the stage?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341085511' post='1713775']
OK , I am really pissed and there are 2 threads :-) lol
[/quote]

I thought I was pissed, especially as I've been to the pub and didn't realise before I'd gone there were 2 threads :)