Why become a member? ×

Gigged IEM's for the first time last night...

Walker

I played my first gig with IEM's last night. Total convert.

It was odd for about 5 minutes, then my life changed! I could hear everything everyone else was playing and singing with clarity (except the drummer whom is not mic'd, but I remedied that by quickly throwing a spare mic under his kick and plugged it into my Rolls unit).

I can honestly say I played my best gig ever - I was note perfect, well almost ;) I could hear every detail of my playing, just like when practicing at home - it was an absolute bloody revelation

We were at close quarters with a very noisy, up-for-it, dancing crowd, so for our last number (hands in the air, crowd singing, etc), I pulled my IEM's out of my ears, bloody hell it was loud! And I couldn't hear my bass. Straight back in.

We normally use Yammy powered wedges (the rest of the guys still do), but trying in-ears really has made a helluva difference.

For those interested, its a wired setup: Westone UM1's, a Rolls PM351, with a mix from desk, another line from my amp and a Shure SM58 thrown under the drum kit!

I am a convert to IEM's too, make things so much better live.

How do you get a signal into the desk and also into your monitor mixer?

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1341073502' post='1713553']
I played my first gig with IEM's last night. Total convert.

It was odd for about 5 minutes, then my life changed! I could hear everything everyone else was playing and singing with clarity (except the drummer whom is not mic'd, but I remedied that by quickly throwing a spare mic under his kick and plugged it into my Rolls unit).

I can honestly say I played my best gig ever - I was note perfect, well almost ;) I could hear every detail of my playing, just like when practicing at home - it was an absolute bloody revelation

We were at close quarters with a very noisy, up-for-it, dancing crowd, so for our last number (hands in the air, crowd singing, etc), I pulled my IEM's out of my ears, bloody hell it was loud! And I couldn't hear my bass. Straight back in.

We normally use Yammy powered wedges (the rest of the guys still do), but trying in-ears really has made a helluva difference.

For those interested, its a wired setup: Westone UM1's, a Rolls PM351, with a mix from desk, another line from my amp and a Shure SM58 thrown under the drum kit!
[/quote]

I don't run my bass through PA, it's purely for vox, keys and acoustic instruments. My bass rig provides my output and out drummer provides his own unmiced volume. We don't play huge venues. Seems to work well at the moment, but this is likely to change soon.