Why become a member? ×

Fingertip injures

rushers

So recently I've been doing a fair amount of bass playing with my band etc, and my first finger and middle finger now hurt a tremendous amount when I attempt to play again, can anyone give me some tips on how to speed up the healing process or numb the pain? Despite having large chalices on my fingers I still often fall victim to pains in the two fingers.

Thanks

Edited by rushers

If you're talking about toughening up the fingertips, practice practice practice. Meths can help with this too.

[url="http://www.pluckandplayguitar.com/toughening-up-fingertips.html"]http://www.pluckandp...fingertips.html[/url]

Worked with my feet when preparing for Duke of Ed hikes at school

Edited by Roland Rock

If you have developed chalices you should fill them with wine. Always works with me ;)

Play less build up over time. If it hurts stop. The old no pain no gain mantra is very subjective. There are no shortcuts. If you try surgical spirit, meths etc it will make the skin too hard and it will shed. Ok for a short term emergency solution but as I say.... There are no short cuts.

I (and everyone else it seems) assume you mean the fingertips, as you mention pain and finger injuries, but don't specify where. If other joints are involved, there's more to be discussed.

Building calluses on one's fingertips isn't all that's going on. Finger / hand / arm / shoulder / scapulae / trunk muscles are all being conditions to do the task you're asking them to do. The nervous system is also being trained in what you're asking it to do.

As others have said, give it time and let things happen naturally by building up your playing stamina. Your body will not be rushed (it can be pushed, but it may push you back later on) and it will thank you in the long run.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1341131882' post='1714023']
OP, perhaps you could confirm whether you mean blisters or internal pain. Some more general detail would help people to help you. :)
[/quote]

Yes, I mean the tips of the fingers

[quote name='rushers' timestamp='1341133277' post='1714037']
Yes, I mean the tips of the fingers
[/quote]

In that case, I agree completely with the quote below. Also, I dont agree with bursting blisters as they contain nature's disinfectant. Give the blisters time to heal, then build up your playing time gradually, as "TimR" says. Once you build up callouses, you can play for longer.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341098133' post='1713919']

Play less build up over time. If it hurts stop. The old no pain no gain mantra is very subjective. There are no shortcuts. If you try surgical spirit, meths etc it will make the skin too hard and it will shed. Ok for a short term emergency solution but as I say.... There are no short cuts.
[/quote]