Why become a member? ×

GAS ... when do you give in to it?

debwilliams

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1341319307' post='1716891']
Told ya it would happen if you hung around long enough ;-)

Dont resist it, you cant fight the inevitable lol..
[/quote]

Dave - I am struggling and losing ground by the minute. My determination is really working against me here :P .

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1341319472' post='1716897']
I have a six-month 'cool-off' period. If I still want it after that, then it's worth serious consideration. So far, very few GAS attacks have lasted anywhere near that long
[/quote]

6 months! That shows incredible strength ... not sure I will last anywhere near that long. Well I am sure that I won't ;)

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341330533' post='1717168']
Dave - I am struggling and losing ground by the minute. My determination is really working against me here :P .
[/quote]

Haha, i know the feeling.

i woke up Sat morning worrying about paying some bills, by late afternoon i had brought a new camera lens lol.

Get some new strings, something different and put them on the HW-one. That will give you a newish tone and may help with the GAS, and save you some money.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1341330861' post='1717179']
Haha, i know the feeling.

i woke up Sat morning worrying about paying some bills, by late afternoon i had brought a new camera lens lol.

Get some new strings, something different and put them on the HW-one. That will give you a newish tone and may help with the GAS, and save you some money.
[/quote]

Tried all of that ... picked Marcus (that's what I call my bass which was Dave's old one) up last night from having a set up done. Guy in the shop said the person who did it played and said that he was "f*****g amazing". Plays like a dream. Still want MORE!

Well done for not following your own advice! Hope your lens does all you hope for Dave!

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1341330651' post='1717173']
I recently had this with a USA P-bass. I gave in and it arrived today :P After playing it for the last hour I can easily say it was one of the best ideas I've ever had :P haha.
[/quote]

Jackers .... it's these darn P basses. :gas: . Glad you jumped in and made the right choice.

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1341331561' post='1717197']
I found a bass got gas,waited and did the do I need it bit, went back to buy it......... gone sold..bu/ger :(
So dont wait BUY it B)
[/quote]

Yep - this is my secret terror. Just waiting to hear about an international arms deal and I can make my decision on a Precision :lol:

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341331806' post='1717207']
Tried all of that ... picked Marcus (that's what I call my bass which was Dave's old one) up last night from having a set up done. Guy in the shop said the person who did it played and said that he was "f*****g amazing". Plays like a dream. Still want MORE!

Well done for not following your own advice! Hope your lens does all you hope for Dave!
[/quote]

The lens actually serves a real purpose so it wasn't really GAS, more stupidity lol.

Glad Marcus is still with you, sounds like he wont be sleeping alone for much longer :-)

My gear GAS has almost completely gone. Ive had the same bass for almost two years now, a lowly Squier (whats left of it), when i do get a bit of bass GAS i just start using my other Squier for a while. Much cheaper than buying another bass although you have to work up to this stage. Sounds like you have a long way to go and a lot of money to spend first ;-)

GAS is a state of mind, I don't mind doing hours of research, it just convinces me I must have, I don't mind doing my sums for hours, it just convinces me I should be spending my money on something else, (I nearly said more important then!)
I don't mind putting a wanted ad up, just to see if anyone has one to sell, that usually convinces me that no-one else has one or if they do they're not selling it so it must be good.
I don't mind searching the dealers in the hope that someone somewhere will have exactly what I want & I can go & try one. Then I don't mind trying to get the best price possible, sometimes coming home empty handed because I know I can get one for less on the net.
I even don't mind taking the risk of buying from someone I've never heard of or met, possibly several thousand miles away on another continent, as long as they've got the right bass at the right price & having to wait days for it to arrive.

'Cos when you get the first sight of that new bass & play it for the first time, all that GAS has gone - it's like being in the calm, at the eye of the hurricane - just for a while, then the bloody GAS comes back again :D

Don't give up GASSING, it would be boring without GAS, just keep taking the pills & paying the bills - & give in to GAS when you can :happy:

Cheerz, john

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341331895' post='1717209']
Jackers .... it's these darn P basses. :gas: . Glad you jumped in and made the right choice.
[/quote]

hehe, yep, there is just something about them. This one is 3TS/Rosewood, which is perfection in my eyes :)

Besides, I always regretted selling my first Fender P-bass.

Yes Deb if it's a Highway One - just buy it - they're quality, this 2003 I got recently is superb! Hope this helps your GAS :rolleyes:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fender%20USA%202003%20Highway%20One%20Precision%20Bass/110620121460.jpg[/IMG]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! How could you do this Highwayone :modspank: ??????? :dash1:

I have practiced a new song, booked a lesson and even thought about COOKING tonight just to distract myself and then I come on here and see this? Too much promise on page 3 today :D .

I will PM you ...... ;)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1341333983' post='1717265']
Yes Deb if it's a Highway One - just buy it - they're quality, this 2003 I got recently is superb! Hope this helps your GAS :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Gorgeous - this is just stunning.

I have a black HW Jazz that I adore .... needless to say a black HW P would balance things up nicely ;)

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341336231' post='1717316']
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! How could you do this Highwayone :modspank: ??????? :dash1:

I have practiced a new song, booked a lesson and even thought about COOKING tonight just to distract myself and then I come on here and see this? Too much promise on page 3 today :D .

I will PM you ...... ;)
[/quote]

I say go for it and don't think about it too much :) Afterall more basses gives you more options of what to play :D (and shiny new things are always good :P)

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1341336908' post='1717332']
I say go for it and don't think about it too much :) Afterall more basses gives you more options of what to play :D (and shiny new things are always good :P)
[/quote]

Yes I agree and I've just looked at your gear list :happy: . Great minds eh Jackers :D

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341337095' post='1717338']
Yes I agree and I've just looked at your gear list :happy: . Great minds eh Jackers :D
[/quote]

Hehe, yep :D I am very happy with my gear list (even if the VT bass was bought on GAS fuelled whim after hearing it in some reviews :P)

You can't go far wrong with a P-bass in my opinion :happy:

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1341332705' post='1717227']
And then you can bring it over to Gloucester, have a brew with me, and I'll set it up for you for nowt - and I'll even show you how so you can save yourself money on shop visits in future! :)
[/quote]

By the way, I didn't mean to offend with this... I wasn't assuming you couldn't set it up yourself, just saw that you just took another bass to a shop, and they charge way too much IMHO...

:)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1341337528' post='1717345']
By the way, I didn't mean to offend with this... I wasn't assuming you couldn't set it up yourself, just saw that you just took another bass to a shop, and they charge way too much IMHO...

:)
[/quote]

That's a grand offer that is :) Definitely worth taking up.