Why become a member? ×

Root / Octave Playing

xilddx

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1341476965' post='1719494']

:D just thought I would confuse matters

Good point on the naming though... I've decided I'm going to start calling it a dodective :lol:
[/quote]

You'll have to change all the others too. Minor third becomes a 4th, third becomes a 5th, fourth becomes a 6th, fifth becomes a 7th will all be very confusing....

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341478243' post='1719533']
You'll have to change all the others too. Minor third becomes a 4th, third becomes a 5th, fourth becomes a 6th, fifth becomes a 7th will all be very confusing....
[/quote]

Be interesting to hear what people play when they see 8va on the page :lol:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341478243' post='1719533']
[/quote]

I'll just pretend it's jazz :D

Totally depends on the kind of music you are playing - it doesn't suit everything. In previous bands there would be some root octave stuff in just about every song. Some songs were built almost entirely around root octave patterns. However in the Terrortones basslines there are less than a handful of root octave patterns in the entire set. Given the right song it is fantastic!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1341483820' post='1719711']
Minor 7th, also lovely. :)
[/quote]

All intervals can be glorious.

But there is something god-like about the root octave in the right place, something sacred in its subjugating of the miserly musical consciousness the turgid machinations of the cerebral curds, in favour of the Heart with its joyful halo of orgasmic and spiritually liberating abandonment :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341484887' post='1719752']

But there is something god-like about the root octave in the right place, something sacred in its subjugating of the miserly musical consciousness the turgid machinations of the cerebral curds, in favour of the Heart with its joyful halo of orgasmic and spiritually liberating abandonment :)
[/quote]

MMmmmmmm Juicy....

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341484887' post='1719752']

[/quote]

like i said, disco 2000

;)

Here's one of mine.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAUhTzuKq4&feature=g-all-u"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAUhTzuKq4&feature=g-all-u[/url]

We don't play it any more but it was fun to play live. All done with a plastic triangle. No right hand fingers were harmed.
Any similarity between this and a bit of Atomic was only realised too late....

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1341490245' post='1719896']
Got to agree Nige. It can be a very pleasing thing.

I've taken to doing a root/octave thing at the end of the chorus on Billie Jean, so simple but my band mates think I'm genius :blush:
[/quote]

I did it in the outro (although no longer in our set). It really worked a treat, and I slapped it to boot!