Why become a member? ×

Budget pa help needed!

gafbass02

Hi all. At the moment I play guitar and sing in a three piece rock band.
(Don't ask! Long story! Can't wait to get back to the bass!)

We are using a pa I bought on here, a pair of peavey eurosys two speakers and a spirit powerstation 600 desk.
But the desk is a bit heavy and bulky to move around, so I was thinking about something smaller and lighter.
Problem is it has to be really really cheap!
I'm torn between a behringer power amp EPQ900 and using the bass players existing behringer mixer with fx into it, or buying an all in one powered mixer, something like the Behringer pmp980.

I know behringer stuff ain't the best and I'm very familiar with all the arguments, but it really is all I can afford!
I'd like the Yamaha emx512 but simply can't afford it. I'd rather buy new and light than an older heavier unit that may be on its last legs.
I'm thinking the power amp route may be better cause of the modular design, ie, change one thing at a time, as opposed to the more handy one box, which if it goes, it's gone.
On the downside with a power amp it probably means a rack case and more power supplies etc.

Any thoughts or help appreciated but please bear in mind the skintness. £250 really is it :( Infact it's pushing it lol.
I looked at the inuke but it looks like it would be terribly underpowered into my 8ohm eurosys 2's.
The powerstation is 265w per side so I'd like to not dip below 200w/220w ish if poss. It's for three vocal mic's only, over a loud drummer, one guitar and bass.

I miss bass! This singing/bandleader lark is all too complicated lol.

Edited by gafbass02

You would need a laptop for sure, and at least a 4in/2out soundcard. It would also mean you could record all your gigs and surf the net at the same time :) You would get better performance than a mixer of the same price range not to mention the extra bonuses. Laptops can be picked up dirt cheap.

I have a Yamaha Emx640 for sale@£150
[url="http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/powered-mixers/emx_box_type/emx640/?mode=model"]http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/powered-mixers/emx_box_type/emx640/?mode=model[/url]
Quite useful and portable.
MM

Very tempting actually, but it's still 33lbs and due to the amount I'm having to load into the car I need to go as light as possible.
Also it's 200w into 4ohms, would that be ok with our two 8 ohm speakers like on a bass amp, or does the fact that it's two channels mean that each side is only seeing 8ohms and delivering less power as such?
I'll def consider it :)

Hi Gaff, the power on the amp is switchable between main and mons so I`d normally run both 8ohms off the main output,(although there are two output sockets per power section this is not a stereo amp,) and that leaves you the same power to use on monitors.
Alternatively, us all the power on your mains, and send the mon out to some powered wedges. Both outputs have a graphic eq.
Best to take your time and get what`s right for you.

Edited by Monckyman

If you already have a mixer then the power amp is sensible, I'd get something that delivers 250-300W into the speakers, clipping the vocals because of low power amps sounds pretty rough. We operated with a behringer 1204 mixer and EP2400 for years with no reliability problems so don't be too scared. If I was looking for a cheap light PA amp though I'd look at the T-amp range from Thomann. If you want an all in one package then this is £304 [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BEHPMP4000&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BEHPMP4000&browsemode=manufacturer[/url] if you can afford a little more then the Peavey IPR1600 is great. I wouldn't go back now.