Why become a member? ×

Delano Sonar, Pickups, grounding and Jack

Scotticus

So what was thought to be a simple swap over of preamps and has become a bit of a mission, hopefully you guys will be able to enlighten me on this!

So first off I have a mostly connected Delano Sonar 3, which I need to attach the pickups to, I know this sounds easy hence why I decided to attempt it but theres been a few unexpected problems. The wires from the pickups to the preamp have an inner core, which I'm guessing is surrounded by shielding (pictured below). How would you solder this to the pot (also pictured below).

Secondly, just to make life difficult it turns out that my jack isn't jobby standard issue but a lot longer. Before I realised this I had already completely removed the old wires from it so have no idea what goes where. I've played around but between the pickups and the jack, I'm clueless.

Last but not any less confusing, grounding, theres a ground wire on the preamp. What am I supposed to attach that to? Also where does the bridge ground wire go?

I have spent quite a frustrating time hunting around on google and what not, but I've come up empty.
[attachment=112726:Pick up wire together.jpg] [attachment=112727:Pick up wire split.jpg] [attachment=112728:Blend pot solder side.jpg] [attachment=112729:Jack.jpg] [attachment=112730:Preamp ground wire.jpg]

Cheers guys

Have you got the wiring diagram for the Sonar? It shows you what to solder on the blend pot - the wire marked 'hot' is the inner, the outer sleeves go to the two solder pads that are joined together.

All the grounds need to join up somehow or other. I soldered bridge and blend grounds to the output socket sleeve, then connected volume ground and preamp ground to the blend ground. I think, anyway.

To find out which jack socket terminal is which, you need a stereo (unmoulded) plug or stereo lead and a multimeter. Tip is signal, ring is battery negative, sleeve is ground.