Why become a member? ×

acoustic bass

paul torch

I'm thinking of getting myself a, not too expensive, acoustic bass in the next couple of days for noodling around on at home.

I've been looking online but I prefer to try before I buy.

The Bass Centre and The Bass Gallery don't appear to have a particularly large stock of acoustics according to their website so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to go in London.

I know Denmark Street is the obvious choice but am up for trying somewhere else.

Cheers

I got a Takamine (G series I think) from Guitar Guitar in Epsom. They had about 5 different acoustics of varying prices. Nothing special, but certainly a more pleasant experience than Denmark Street. The Takamine has been great for noodling, and I've also got good results from micing it for recording.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Afraid a those shops are a little out of town for me. Looks like I'll have to brave Denmark Street after-all.

Thanks for the offers TransAxle and bgd1 but I'm after a fretted one and I think I'd prefer to sit down and try several to see what suits better.

I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

ok update time.

Contrary to me initially stating that I wanted to try before I buy, I ended up getting one off evil bay.

Something came up that was what I was looking for, an inexpensive short scale acoustic. I ended up with an Ashton that fits the bill.

So far I'm enjoying the tone and playability and volume seems fine but as I'm going tone using it for home practice/writing then that's not really an issue. I just needed something that I could grab off the wall when the mood took me without having to get cables and amps out.

My next question to you all is, what do people think about putting a set of flats on an acoustic?