Why become a member? ×

Fender USA bullet bass

Glengarry

Hi all, my first post here, though I often browse!

I've picked up a messed up USA Fender Bullet bass, the longer scale B34 model.
Was only made for a year or so around 1982 and is quite a pretty sort of sub-P-bass thing.
Quite rare of course, but then it was an entry-level model so probably not rare in an expensive way!

However, like I said, it's messed up - looks like a home-made fretless job, not very nice.

I'm just trying to work out whether to take it somewhere for a refret (£200ish for a bass that is unlikely to be worth twice that at the end) or whether I should just play the long game and see if one day a neck pops up somewhere (could be years, or never).

I could buy a new neck, but I think we all know that would defy the point slightly.

I could take pics... but they might upset you

Here they are - looks lovely from a distance, but get in close and there's some weird stuff going on. The fret wire isn't right (it's sharp on the edges too) and you can see where splinters have been pulled out of the fretboard.
My theory is either a botched refret, or a spell of life as a fretless followed by a botched refret.
The main clue here is the weird stain on the fretboard - this is a one-piece maple neck. Why would you stain a fretboard apart from to hide filled-in frets?
I bought it in a music shop in Greece. I was quite impressed it had all the original tags while being in such a state!
According to the serial number it was built in the Fullerton plant between 1979 and 1981, although Wikipedia reckons the Bullet bass started production in 1982.

What do you reckon? Worth fixing up?

Judging by the photos it's probably been a fretless for a while with the finish taken off to lose the brightness of a finished maple neck. Then some bad finish and a not too good fret job afterwards.

Not sure about the value as 80s stuff isn't that sought after yet, but you couldn't give 70s Fenders away a couple of decades ago and now they're fetching £2K plus.

If you like the way it sounds and plays then it's probably worth getting it fixed up sometime, as has been said the Gallery would be able to give you a quote.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1342012415' post='1728015']
I notice it says 'deluxe' on the headstock but was struggling to figure what 'extra' this bass would have over the standard model?
[/quote]
I think the 'deluxe' version was the long-scale B34 as opposed to the B30. You've got a point, though. Any less deluxe and it wouldn't be electric any more

[quote name='Glengarry' timestamp='1342031586' post='1728508']
Oh, wouldya look at that. The Bass Gallery isn't on Denmark St - I was thinking of the Bass Centre. Glad we've got that cleared up
[/quote]

Which wasn't either. That was in Wapping High St, and then moved to Brune Street.

I think you mean the Bass [i]Cellar[/i]?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1342032060' post='1728523']
Which wasn't either. That was in Wapping High St, and then moved to Brune Street.

I think you mean the Bass [i]Cellar[/i]?
[/quote]

Um. Yeah. Precisely that. They've all got the word 'Bass' in them, right?

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1342043483' post='1728790']
Never seen these before. Is it basically a 34" mustang/P hybrid?
[/quote]
Mustang pickups, vaguely P shape, but close to Musicmaster in concept - bottom of the range.
But still a proper Fullerton plant Fender neck, and very nice too.

I've recently got my hands on a 1984 Japanese one of these and it is great!
If I were you (which I ain't) I would just tidy her up and smooth off the sharp bits of the frets and leave the rest alone - as long as it plays and sounds good that's all that really matters IMO.
Enjoy the bass for what it is, and let its chequered past shine through.
In the long term I don't think you'll lose money on it as you have the case, tags and everything else with it.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1342079440' post='1729055']
I'm a big fan of having scruffies fixed up. Don't worry too much about the value if the guitar has once been someone's DIY attempt. Restore as far as funds and common sense allow and then play the hell out of it.
[/quote]

+ the one.