Why become a member? ×

Modulus VJ fretless opinions ?

Torben Hedstrøm

In my search for a simple (as in not too many knobs & max 5 strings) fretless to replace my Stambaugh, I stumbled upon a Modulus VJ. I have never held a Modulus, but heard good things about them... Anyone here ever owned/tried one ?, and what's the general opinion ?.

Thing is, that if I buy it I will probably do so without seeing it in the flesh, so I would like to have some confidence that I'm not entirely off. I REALY enjoy the playability/neck/weight of my Elrick NJS gold, and if I could find one I would buy an Elrick fretless without even blinking... But besides being more expensive, the Elrick fretless basses seem to be very rare...

If anyone had been trying enough bass guitars, to compare the Elrick NJS neck/contour with the Modulus, that would be RELLY nice... But I guess there is little chance of that happening ;)

i had a Modulus VJ4 jazz bass... it was totally stunning... quilted maple, full graphite.... the best bass i ever played.... But... the tone was not at all like a jazz bass.. not a bad tone but for me, it had no character....

the fretless VJ may be a different bass because of the fact that its a fretless... i dont know.... an unlined fretless VJ4 Genesis, with an ebony board... now thats a great bass

Edited by bubinga5

As it happens I had bubinga5 Modulus after him!

I really liked it. Real hifi sound.

I sold it for 2 main reasons - it had the optional quilt top, which meant no forearm contour which I find really uncomfortable (I toyed with the idea of doing surgery on it), and because the wife told me to, as I had just bought a Streamline!

I would happily have another one - but I would probably go for a passive pickup set.