Why become a member? ×

ear plugs on the high street

john_the_bass

guys - i know i should search the ear plugs threads but my ER-20s have gone walkabout and i have two gigs this weekend so I am in a mild panic and a slight rush to replace them. Mail order ain't going to do the job, so I need to know if anybody has bought a set of ER-20s from a shop. Answers on a postcard. Cheers.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='185093' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:42 AM']You local drum shop most always have them in stock, at various degrees of attenuation, even.[/quote]

actually - good call on that - i rang one place on the off chance and they sell docs, vater safe and sound and lo and behold - er-20s. just need to get there before 6pm!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='185095' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:44 AM']my local sound control only stocks doc's pro plugs which i don't rate - i had a pair for a while, but binned them in the end[/quote]

they are what I use and they're great at canceling out the really damaging frequencies whilst allowing you to clearly hear what's going on. Having said that I'm developing some semi-serious hearing problems so I'm seriously considering buying a pair of builders ear defenders :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='185224' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:27 PM']i rang specsavers this morning for some er-20s for a gig tonight. they don't have any stock in the specsavers shop in the town i work in. they can order them, but if i could wait, i'd just order 'em off ebay for half the price[/quote]
Gutted. Tell 'em all to turn down :)

those of you that use ER-20s, do you use "Elacin" or "Etymotic" branded ones and can you tell any difference? I had previously used Etymotic Research ones which I thought were very good, but I bought the Elacin branded jobs on Friday night - I don't know whether it's just using a new set of ear plugs, but these Elacin ones are particularly uncomfortable currently. Maybe they'll bed in, but I think the custom ones are beckoning this month